R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

It could be visually, or purely from an art direction standpoint.

What is the best looking game from this E3 period?

Personally I've been enjoying looking at screenshots from Alan Wake 2, Avatar, Payday or Starfield even more than the trailers or gameplay videos. There is just so much detail a screenshot can bring.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

So many good looking games these days.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan said:

So many good looking games these days.

Yes it's true. At first I thought Jedi Survivor looked marginally different from Jedi Fallen Order, but playing it now it definitely is a generational leap. UE4 games look amazing and UE 5 games can only look better.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69765 Posts

Too many games look great

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Path of the Goddess looks great. DD2, Alan Wake 2, Phantom Blade, Talos Principle 2, FF16, Granblue Relink, AZ Sunshine 2, Crossfire Sierra Squad, South of Midnight, P3 Reload, P5 Tactica, Metaphor, Pragmata......and more.

Good times coming up, for sure.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By R4gn4r0k
@Pedro said:

Yes, but that's a great thing, I love absorbing all the detail in games that I'm playing or screenshots from upcoming games that I'm combing over.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BassMan
@R4gn4r0k said:
@Pedro said:

Yes, but that's a great thing, I love absorbing all the detail in games that I'm playing or screenshots from upcoming games that I'm combin over.

Be mindful of official screenshots though. They are often bullshots that have been tweaked and do not represent the actual game. I only trust screenshots from third party sources captured from actual gameplay.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24960 Posts

STALKER 2.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k

@nod_calypse said:

Path of the Goddess looks great. DD2, Alan Wake 2, Phantom Blade, Talos Principle 2, FF16, Granblue Relink, AZ Sunshine 2, Crossfire Sierra Squad, South of Midnight, P3 Reload, P5 Tactica, Metaphor, Pragmata......and more.

Good times coming up, for sure.

As for Talos Principle: yeah it looks like a huge step up from the first with beautiful vistas. I hope they tweak the engine though, or can move forward with Syberian Mayhem's engine as the original Serious Sam 4 engine was quite the mess.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
@BassMan said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@Pedro said:

Yes, but that's a great thing, I love absorbing all the detail in games that I'm playing or screenshots from upcoming games that I'm combin over.

Be mindful of official screenshots though. They are often bullshots that have been tweaked and do not represent the actual game. I only trust screenshots from third party sources captured from actual gameplay.

Check out these Alan Wake 2 4K screenshots:

https://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/alan-wake-2-shows-off-the-capabilities-of-the-northlight-engine/

I think these are the real deal, at least I can't remember Remedy ever lying in that sense. They are in line with what I'm expecting from their engine as well.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:

STALKER 2.

The one missing factor at E3.

Seeing as how E3 is all about games launching for the rest of the year I doubt Stalker 2 will make it. More than anything though I hope the devs stay safe from the attacks by the terror state.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BassMan

@R4gn4r0k said:
@BassMan said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@Pedro said:

Check out these Alan Wake 2 4K screenshots:

https://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/alan-wake-2-shows-off-the-capabilities-of-the-northlight-engine/

I think these are the real deal, at least I can't remember Remedy ever lying in that sense. They are in line with what I'm expecting from their engine as well.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

BABY STEPS PS5. :-O

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58392 Posts

I'm kind of partial to DCS World. Not bad for a game engine that's like 20 years old haha. Though from what I've read most of our game engines these days are pretty old since they just get built upon and built upon but are ultimately still the same engine.

Really helps to immerse the player into your hyper-realistic study sim when the visuals are likewise pretty realistic.

Even more amazing in VR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loading Video...
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

Vague question. Lots of ways to answer.

But one that stood out this generation was DragonballZ: Fighters.

It's attention to detail was through the roof, faithful to a perfect T. With no exaggeration, looked better than the actual Dragonball Super series by and large. They gave more of a shit than the people making that show lol

Loading Video...

Worth remembering as well, this came out about the same time as Marvel VS Capcom infinite and basically buried it in the fucking ground party due the sheer difference of presentation quality.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44295 Posts

Gotta go with the “too many games look good” option. Can’t really pick any one overall.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Haven't personally seen a better looking game since RDR2 in 4k. That's my current go-to answer.

Lots of great looking games out there though. There's just no longer a "graphics king", hasn't been in well over a decade by now.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

Has to be forza as its 4k on the world's most powerful console

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6244 Posts

My games for the rest of the year are Remnant 2 and a couple of months later Forza Motorsport. They look good to me, but the graphics have nothing to do with that.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1003 Posts

The best looking game right now is Cyberpunk 2077 using overdrive and I assume that will continue with the expansion. With that said FFVII Remake pt.2, Avatar, new Star Wars game, Forza all look very good. 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56216 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Haven't personally seen a better looking game since RDR2 in 4k. That's my current go-to answer.

Lots of great looking games out there though. There's just no longer a "graphics king", hasn't been in well over a decade by now.

I would agree with RDR2 but I also believe Cyberpunk 2077 is now the best looking game when using Raytracing (Overdrive) and that goes for the upcoming Expansion Phantom Liberty.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k

@davillain said:
@Wasdie said:

I would agree with RDR2 but I also believe Cyberpunk 2077 is now the best looking game when using Raytracing (Overdrive) and that goes for the upcoming Expansion Phantom Liberty.

I like that Cyberpunk 2077 now comes with DLAA. Textures and details looked way too muddy with TAA and DLSS, but I can't wait to try it with a good texture mod (Halk Hogan) and blast some DLAA on that thing.

As for RDR2: it's still the game I think of when it comes to the best simulations in games.

Real time beard and hair grow, your weapon getting progressively muddy and dirty based on the environment you're in, the most impressive weather simulation I've ever seen. All of that really combines to build an immersive, believable world, the last of which was GTA IV for me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k
@jeffbuckley1 said:

Has to be forza as its 4k on the world's most powerful console

Forza Horizon 5 is still my go to game when it comes to graphical fidelity and HDR rendering. I hope Forza Motorsport 8 comes close.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

After watching the gameshows ubisoft has pushed ahead of Sony in the graphics department into second place behind Xbox studios.

Forza,the new flight sim,fable and hellblade 2 all looking fantastic

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

For consoles, nothing really comes clos to Horizon Forbidden West. Genuinely surprised the de facto graphics king hasn't been mentioned before. Then again, knowing this sub it doesn't surprise me at all.

with an ultra high end PC like mine, it gets a little bit more unclear.

Forza Horizon 5 in native 4K runs at over 160 fps for me and is absolutely gorgeous. I still think HFW looks at least as good, if not not better. Though obviously limited to a jarring 40 fps, literally 1/4 of what I get in FH5.

Then there's Plague Tale 2: Requiem, which runs at sub 1080p and struggles with 30 fps on consoles, but I run max settings, ray tracing at native 4K (no DLSS or FG) and get 70+ fps. With FG on that fps goes up to about 90. put on DLSS quality and its around 110 fps. the lighting, shadows, ray tracing, and 3D like depth / geometry of the textures has to be the best I have ever seen. character models are possibly the best but Sony flagship titles like TLOU, GOW, Days Gone, Spiderman, Horizon etc have better animations / mocap for sure.

short answer: with a 4090 PC - winner = Plague Tale 2

limited to consoles - winner = Horizon Forbidden West

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10480 Posts

on ps5 i'd say demon's souls is the best performing plus it's a gorgeous looking game but deathloop has the best art style

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@simple-facts said:

After watching the gameshows ubisoft has pushed ahead of Sony in the graphics department into second place behind Xbox studios.

Forza,the new flight sim,fable and hellblade 2 all looking fantastic

I saw the Star Wars Outlaws demo yesterday and my first thought was, how is GTA VI gonna live up to this? It looks so ahead of any other open world game that I can't really see Rockstar outshining this, eventhough they've been the king of minute details for a very long time.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mozelleple112

@nod_calypse: Brev, come on lol.

the question wasn't what your favourite games were... half of those (especially Persona) look bad. Persona games look like they were made for PS2.

FF16, has the typical FF graphics which are next-gen in some areas but PS3 gen in others. (FF7 remake anyone?)

Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Microsoft Flight Simulator, The Last of Us, Forza Horizon 5, Calisto Protocol, Cyberpunk 2077, Spiderman so many actually good looking games out there

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts

Yeah, this was something I cared more about in the past. Now games look so similar that it's basically just artstyle that sets them apart.

The recently released System Shock is like a 9/10 in graphics for me. Looks great and fits the theme of the game perfectly.
Starfield is like a 6/10. They try their best at realistic graphics and.. fail.

Best realistic graphics? Probably something like RDR2 on PC. Again, I'm not sure as I don't really care.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

At the moment? Horizon Forbidden West

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k

@Litchie said:

Yeah, this was something I cared more about in the past. Now games look so similar that it's basically just artstyle that sets them apart.

The recently released System Shock is like a 9/10 in graphics for me. Looks great and fits the theme of the game perfectly.

Starfield is like a 6/10. They try their best at realistic graphics and.. fail.

Best realistic graphics? Probably something like RDR2 on PC. Again, I'm not sure as I don't really care.

I agree with you on System Shock but am the complete opposite about Starfield (from what little I've seen).

System Shock: you can tell they didn't want to go for the most realistic art style and they were even trying to pay homage to the graphics of the past. And they absolutely rolled with it and they absolutely nailed it. The graphics look spectacular, they are finger licking good and it's just immersive. How far are you into the game? I love how every level's artstyle keeps changing too, helps you keep track of what floor you are on, and helps you navigate in a subconcious way. Perfect

Starfield looks insanely diverse from what I've seen: From sterile interiors of derelict space craft, to the retro future style of the space ships that you will pilot to the environments themselves. It's actually crazy and from a diversity standpoint: looks really expansive. As a game about space should be.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k
@Mozelleple112 said:

the question wasn't what your favourite games were... half of those (especially Persona) look bad. Persona games look like they were made for PS2.

FF16, has the typical FF graphics which are next-gen in some areas but PS3 gen in others. (FF7 remake anyone?)

Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Microsoft Flight Simulator, The Last of Us, Forza Horizon 5, Calisto Protocol, Cyberpunk 2077, Spiderman so many actually good looking games out there

I was amazed by how good Ghost Trick looked on Switch the other day, I didn't think they could polish up a Nintendo DS game this much, but they did.

There is no single objective way to determine good graphics. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Starfield looks insanely diverse from what I've seen: From sterile interiors of derelict space craft, to the retro future style of the space ships that you will pilot to the environments themselves. It's actually crazy and from a diversity standpoint: looks really expansive. As a game about space should be.

True, it does quite a lot. Personally, I thought the more realistic looking aspects of it looked ok. Nothing amazing, pretty standard stuff and the level of graphics you'd come to expect from a new game. The NPCs look laughable though and takes me out of any form of immersion immediately.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mozelleple112

@R4gn4r0k: I thought this age old argument was settled a while back. Back in the PS3 gen, we concluded:

artstyle = subjective like the taste of food.

graphics = objective like numbers and maths

like Killzone 2 (2009) vs Uncharted 2 (2009) was a subjective debate as it depends if you prefer the grey and gritty KZ2 artstyle or the lush and colourful popping UC2 artstyle. both were technically level, but differentiated by their artstyles.

The there is just no way, shape or form that something like FF16 can be viewed as having better graphics than Horizon Forbidden West.

Another argument you could have is the scale of games;

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020's huge open world vs Plague Tale 2's narrow world. This is debatable, as it depends if you value the scale, draw distance and complexity of designing MSFS20 world or the fact that textures, models, lighting, shaders, shadows etc look better in Plague Tale 2.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39188 Posts

HZD poops on the chest of every video game. Nothing comes close, and YES, its a Sony exclusive.

BamsiByrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BamsiByrek
Member since 2023 • 1 Posts

Opinions on the "best looking" game from E3 can vary based on personal preferences. However, several games showcased impressive visuals during the event. Games like Alan Wake 2, Avatar, Payday 3, and Starfield have garnered attention for their detailed visuals and captivating screenshots. Ultimately, the beauty of a game's graphics is subjective and can be best appreciated by exploring screenshots or experiencing the gameplay firsthand.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

The new Fable.

Veg king for sure. lol :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@Mozelleple112 said:

Look at this fuckn guy.

I think Persona games look dope. The art style is on point. Same goes with FF.

I think Alloy looks like Jerry O'connell.

And I think you look herby.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mozelleple112

@nod_calypse: That's actually hilarious, I had to google who he was.

Aloy does look like a hyper realistic, extremely detailed, ultra polished Jerry O'Connell. That valley is uncanny.

Persona games look like PSP games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@Mozelleple112 said:

@nod_calypse: That's actually hilarious, I had to google who he was.

Aloy does look like a hyper realistic, extremely detailed, ultra polished Jerry O'Connell. That valley is uncanny.

Persona games look like PSP games.

Lol, I know bruh, you can't unsee it, especially younger pics

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k
@bamsibyrek said:

Opinions on the "best looking" game from E3 can vary based on personal preferences. However, several games showcased impressive visuals during the event. Games like Alan Wake 2, Avatar, Payday 3, and Starfield have garnered attention for their detailed visuals and captivating screenshots. Ultimately, the beauty of a game's graphics is subjective and can be best appreciated by exploring screenshots or experiencing the gameplay firsthand.

Too bad AI can't form a personal opinion on what it think is this E3's best looking game. As thus it has failed and is already an outdated and ultimately doomed technology.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts

I'd have to say Fable.

I was convinced it was CGI until outlets confirmed it was gameplay

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

I'd have to say Fable.

Same here, stunning, truly stunning. :D

Now I need more ASAP. :P

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Ps5 Ratchet and Clank of Course.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#47  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69765 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

I'd have to say Fable.

Gameplay?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts

@Pedro said:
@navyguy21 said:

I'd have to say Fable.

Gameplay?

Lol, you're correct.

I should've said "captured on Series X" 😁

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13025 Posts

Way too many to pick one.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k

@Pedro said:
@navyguy21 said:

I'd have to say Fable.

Gameplay?

https://www.gamesradar.com/fable-4-lead-amused-that-people-cant-believe-the-new-trailer-is-real-gameplay/