I just don't get all the GW2 love.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Ravenshout
Member since 2012 • 1265 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] ...what ideas? seriously, as far as i know, "it exists" is all we have on it yet.BrunoBRS

It'll be more different from that dated 8-year old game A.K.A WoW than Guild Wars 2 is.

I am not saying GW2 is a bad game, because it's a damn good game. It' just that Titan, according to some speculations, will be revolutionary. It will be truly next-gen MMO.

speculations based on what? looking at blizzard's history, they're not very good at "revolutionizing". they make great games, but never revolutionary games. also lol "based on my speculations, the next GW2 expansion will kill console gaming with its revolutionary 'pay gamers per hour and still profit' system"

This time around, according to an ex-developer at Blizzard, will be like going from Burton's Batman to Nolan's Batman.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Ravenshout"] It'll be more different from that dated 8-year old game A.K.A WoW than Guild Wars 2 is.

I am not saying GW2 is a bad game, because it's a damn good game. It' just that Titan, according to some speculations, will be revolutionary. It will be truly next-gen MMO.

Ravenshout

speculations based on what? looking at blizzard's history, they're not very good at "revolutionizing". they make great games, but never revolutionary games. also lol "based on my speculations, the next GW2 expansion will kill console gaming with its revolutionary 'pay gamers per hour and still profit' system"

This time around, according to an ex-developer at Blizzard, will be like going from Burton's Batman to Nolan's Batman.

Not exactly the most credible source. Chances are, he is proud of his work.

Even then, I am sure most Bethesda employees (ex or not) felt the same way regarding going from Morrowind to Oblivion.

After being let down by blizzard 4 times in a row with WotLK, SC2 (granted, I heard this has improved a lot since launch), Cata and Diablo 3, I honestly dont have much faith left in blizzard.

Blizzard can say whatever they want, I wont be hyped until they SHOW us Titan.

Ravenshout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 Ravenshout
Member since 2012 • 1265 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] speculations based on what? looking at blizzard's history, they're not very good at "revolutionizing". they make great games, but never revolutionary games. also lol "based on my speculations, the next GW2 expansion will kill console gaming with its revolutionary 'pay gamers per hour and still profit' system"Maroxad

Even then, I am sure most Bethesda employees (ex or not) felt the same way regarding going from Morrowind to Oblivion.

After being let down by blizzard 4 times in a row with WotLK, SC2 (granted, I heard this has improved a lot since launch), Cata and Diablo 3, I honestly dont have much faith left in blizzard.

Diablo 3 wasn't that bad and IS IMPROVING. Starcraft 2 is so refined and well-balanced now. WoW has done so much more than any MMO and being almost a decade old, it makes sense that the game's getting terribly outdated.

The thing is, in all those 3 games, Blizzard stuck with what established, sometimes tired formulas.

Titan, however, is different. Not only will it be more polished than any newly-launched MMO ever, but it will also give us the much-needed revolution in MMO, which sadly GW2 didn't manage.

So, do you agree if we start a Titan thread here?

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#204 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] This time around, according to an ex-developer at Blizzard, will be like going from Burton's Batman to Nolan's Batman.

Ravenshout

Diablo 3 wasn't that bad and IS IMPROVING. Starcraft 2 is so refined and well-balanced now. WoW has done so much more than any MMO and being almost a decade old, it makes sense that the game's getting terribly outdated.

The thing is, in all those 3 games, Blizzard stuck with what established, sometimes tired formulas.

Titan, however, is different. Not only will it be more polished than any newly-launched MMO ever, but it will also give us the much-needed revolution in MMO, which sadly GW2 didn't manage.

titan is a steampunk MMO ive seen the concept art (or the supposed concept art leak). it doesnt look very impressive atm. also starcraft II only became balanced in PvP after they simply started taking out units wholesale from the lineup rather than attempt to retool them ot adjsut their stats.

blizzards approach to 'fixing" starcraft II has been slash and burn. and they were going to do it again at HoTS launch until folks raged at the demise of the protoss carrier.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] This time around, according to an ex-developer at Blizzard, will be like going from Burton's Batman to Nolan's Batman.

Ravenshout

WoW has done so much more than any other MMO? Please elaborate then. Because literally EVERYTHING that WoW did at release and later, had already been done before. As for Titan, haven't they already confirmed that it's going to be aimed towards a 'wider audience'? Even more casual than WoW then. What we need for this so called revolution is not some theme-park with a few gimmicks (GW2), but an accesible (in the good sense, accesible=/=casual) sandbox that's not a total borefest like EvE.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Ravenshout

D3 is improving, I will give you that. But I think the general consensus is that the game was poor. The repetitive combat, poor customization and itemization so laughably bad that there are shooters with better loot systems.

As for WoW, yes it WAS a good game during its vanilla and TBC era, but the only innovative thing about it was its execution. It basicly took a load of concepts from other mmos and refined them. But as good as it was in its Vanilla and TBC days, Cataclysm and Wrath of the Lich king were horrible.

Also, Guild Wars 2, while not particulary innovative, did what WoW did back in 2004. Took a lot of concepts and mashed them together, although, it didnt do it quite as flawlessly as WoW did. However, the ideas were great and had their effects on other mmos.

You are making a lot of assumptions with Titan, you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.

TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 TruedUp
Member since 2002 • 691 Posts
titan is a steampunk MMO ive seen the concept art (or the supposed concept art leak). it doesnt look very impressive atm. ionusX
So you have seen the concept art to a game no one known anything about and you say it doesnt look very impressive at the moment... I call shenanigans on that one. Even if you have seen "concept art" how can you possibly judge anything based on concept art? It is very hard to establish your point in a discussion when you make statements like that. Lets see a source, discuss how much experience you have had with the product and let us know why its "not impressive". Otherwise, your point is difficult to believe or support. The fellow who mentioned earlier that Titan will be redifined, amazing, ground breaking and most of all polished. The same principle applies. Just because they SAY it will be those things doesnt make it fact. Its possible, but again I havent really seen the things many people here are stating as fact. However, unlike Titan, WoW and GW2 are already available and are being compared here so why not keepkeep the discussion on topic. As someone said before, you can always make a new Titan thread and we can speculate until the end of time (which is usually how long it takes Blizzard to finish something, aha :D ). Lets keep in mind, Fable was supposed to redefine gaming.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#208 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="ionusX"]titan is a steampunk MMO ive seen the concept art (or the supposed concept art leak). it doesnt look very impressive atm. TruedUp
So you have seen the concept art to a game no one known anything about and you say it doesnt look very impressive at the moment... I call shenanigans on that one. Even if you have seen "concept art" how can you possibly judge anything based on concept art? It is very hard to establish your point in a discussion when you make statements like that. Lets see a source, discuss how much experience you have had with the product and let us know why its "not impressive". Otherwise, your point is difficult to believe or support. The fellow who mentioned earlier that Titan will be redifined, amazing, ground breaking and most of all polished. The same principle applies. Just because they SAY it will be those things doesnt make it fact. Its possible, but again I havent really seen the things many people here are stating as fact. However, unlike Titan, WoW and GW2 are already available and are being compared here so why not keepkeep the discussion on topic. As someone said before, you can always make a new Titan thread and we can speculate until the end of time (which is usually how long it takes Blizzard to finish something, aha :D ). Lets keep in mind, Fable was supposed to redefine gaming.

you demand to see what i saw aight.. run your mouth more..kk

http://kotaku.com/project-titan/

original.jpg

u mad?

TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 TruedUp
[QUOTE="ionusX"]you demand to see what i saw aight.. run your mouth more..kk u mad?

Sorry, I dont quite understand the hostility.I brought up a valid counter to your arguement which you supplied no backing for. Furthermore, I also do not see any indication that of of the artwork is directly from Titan. In fact, the very article you linked says that the artwork is from a personal project of the artist. Did you read the article? Because it specifically says Titan is without any solid information and while the link could be made from a steampunk artist and the eventual style of a project that artists works on, there is nothing confirming this yet. "If you're wondering where all these post-steampunk (note: not a real term) images come from, the majority of images below are from a personal project of his set in the alternate early 20th-century city of Dustrum, which is being made into a book and which looks amazing. (Update: Ah, it's called dieselpunk, thanks!)" It seems that you are the "mad one". Its sad to see such sour attitude in a fellow gamer.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#210 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
i can't believe people are discussing something so weak and baseless as rumors and incredibly broad statements ("oh it will be really, really good!") on a game that hasn't had even a screenshot, or a theme, mentioned. the most tangible thing is a possibly fake concept art leak of a charriot-car thing.
TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 TruedUp
i can't believe people are discussing something so weak and baseless as rumors and incredibly broad statements ("oh it will be really, really good!") on a game that hasn't had even a screenshot, or a theme, mentioned. the most tangible thing is a possibly fake concept art leak of a charriot-car thing.BrunoBRS
As I mentioned above, it seems (according to the article referenced anyway) that concept art is from a personal project an artist working on "Titan" is creating on the side. Though I could be wrong. But even if it was real, how could one possibly form an opinion based on a (1) piece of concept art and proclaim a product isnt very impressive?
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#212 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i can't believe people are discussing something so weak and baseless as rumors and incredibly broad statements ("oh it will be really, really good!") on a game that hasn't had even a screenshot, or a theme, mentioned. the most tangible thing is a possibly fake concept art leak of a charriot-car thing.TruedUp
As I mentioned above, it seems (according to the article referenced anyway) that concept art is from a personal project an artist working on "Titan" is creating on the side. Though I could be wrong. But even if it was real, how could one possibly form an opinion based on a (1) piece of concept art and proclaim a product isnt very impressive?

Because he is a blind fanboy?

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
i can't believe people are discussing something so weak and baseless as rumors and incredibly broad statements ("oh it will be really, really good!") on a game that hasn't had even a screenshot, or a theme, mentioned. the most tangible thing is a possibly fake concept art leak of a charriot-car thing.BrunoBRS
It's today's forum going PC gamer: unimaginable levels of self entitlement and driven by hatred.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#214 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

Oh almost forgot. vfibsux, let me know why you go into WoW topics when you "hate" the game.

JohnF111
let me know why you go into GW2 topics when you "hate" the game. I can do it too.

I never denied it. Do you always reply to comments directed at other people? You're another white knight I guess.
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

[QUOTE="TruedUp"][QUOTE="ionusX"]titan is a steampunk MMO ive seen the concept art (or the supposed concept art leak). it doesnt look very impressive atm. ionusX

you demand to see what i saw aight.. run your mouth more..kk

http://kotaku.com/project-titan/

u mad?

You're right. Based on that concept art Titan sucks big time!! I hate it.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#216 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

QQabitmoar

WoW has done so much more than any other MMO? Please elaborate then. Because literally EVERYTHING that WoW did at release and later, had already been done before. As for Titan, haven't they already confirmed that it's going to be aimed towards a 'wider audience'? Even more casual than WoW then. What we need for this so called revolution is not some theme-park with a few gimmicks (GW2), but an accesible (in the good sense, accesible=/=casual) sandbox that's not a total borefest like EvE.

Off the top of my dome, things I've not seen in other MMOs before Blizzard did them:

minor:

• Bonus rested XP
  • Massive amount of quests
  • Quest based levelling
  • Flying mounts
  • Transitional phases of zones dependant on quest progression

Major:

• Great zone transition
  • Battlegrounds
  • Cross realm Battlegrounds
  • Cross realm dungeons
  • Cross realm zones
  • Competitive arena system for PvP
  • Competitive Battleground system for PvP
  • Highly customizable interface (not limited to just the HUD but functions of the player interface too)
  • Highly polished, fluid controls with a high degree of customizability
  • High accessability for newbies whilst still maintaining headroom for the more hardcore players in both PvE as well as PvP

You can say "hey I remember something like that in X game or Y game" in relation to many features of many games accross many genres dating back decades. Some of the things in MMOs today (or rather most of them) have likely been done in some form or another in a game years and years past. Game design by nature tends to be an incorporation of previous ideas and successful implimentations into the next. There's rarely a definitive and notable revolutionary part of a game which someone can't say "yes but X game did something like that back in nineteen canteen".

What they did best and why the game is such a massive success can't be summed up in just a short sentence. There's multiple reasons from the fluid and responsive combat to the excellent class system and all the memorable spells the classes have which makes each class distinctive, to the Alliance versus Horde setting, to the fantastic environments in each and every expansion, to the little pieces of charm the game has in things like items, icons, models and sound design, to the amount of story there is in the game through tens of thousands of quests and many pieces of readable texts found scattered around the game, to the enjoyable boss fights, to the sense of discovery when seeing all the memorable landmarks all over the world. The dungeons and raids are done much better than other MMOs too that it's not even close.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] Diablo 3 wasn't that bad and IS IMPROVING. Starcraft 2 is so refined and well-balanced now. WoW has done so much more than any MMO and being almost a decade old, it makes sense that the game's getting terribly outdated.

-Unreal-

Off the top of my dome, things I've not seen in other MMOs before Blizzard did them:

minor:

• Bonus rested XP
  • Massive amount of quests
  • Quest based levelling
  • Flying mounts
  • Transitional phases of zones dependant on quest progression

Major:

• Great zone transition
  • Battlegrounds
  • Cross realm Battlegrounds
  • Cross realm dungeons
  • Cross realm zones
  • Competitive arena system for PvP
  • Competitive Battleground system for PvP
  • Highly customizable interface (not limited to just the HUD but functions of the player interface too)
  • Highly polished, fluid controls with a high degree of customizability
  • High accessability for newbies whilst still maintaining headroom for the more hardcore players in both PvE as well as PvP

You can say "hey I remember something like that in X game or Y game" in relation to many features of many games accross many genres dating back decades. Some of the things in MMOs today (or rather most of them) have likely been done in some form or another in a game years and years past. Game design by nature tends to be an incorporation of previous ideas and successful implimentations into the next. There's rarely a definitive and notable revolutionary part of a game which someone can't say "yes but X game did something like that back in nineteen canteen".

What they did best and why the game is such a massive success can't be summed up in just a short sentence. There's multiple reasons from the fluid and responsive combat to the excellent class system and all the memorable spells the classes have which makes each class distinctive, to the Alliance versus Horde setting, to the fantastic environments in each and every expansion, to the little pieces of charm the game has in things like items, icons, models and sound design, to the amount of story there is in the game through tens of thousands of quests and many pieces of readable texts found scattered around the game, to the enjoyable boss fights, to the sense of discovery when seeing all the memorable landmarks all over the world. The dungeons and raids are done much better than other MMOs too that it's not even close.

I can't forgive WoW for popularising theme-parks, so I'm very biased against it, but basically, you just admitted WoW didn't do anything really original, it was just the usual Blizzard polish and attention to detail and the Warcraft name, with features and concepts already seen elsewhere, albeit much more accesible (accesible in the 'casualised' sense).

And in all honesty, if WoW wasn't based around instances and had player made factions instead of Alliance/Horde, I would have worshipped it. But then, it would be tougher to give a sense of security to the casuals and protect them from pk and clan wars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
There is nothing wrong with theme park mmos, the death of sandbox is due to that narrow minded sub set of no lifing human beings that believe to enjoy a game you have to grind away as a second life to inhabit this sandbox realm where you can murder and grief to your hearts content. Ultima Online ect, all follow this tragic formular. It is the eltist subset that wants the genre this way that has killed the sandbox. the closest thing you will find to sandbox now is stuff like planet side, minecraft, war z .... light elements in a persistant world. Nobody wants to die and lose all their stuff. that took them 100s of hours to grind. Until someone makes sandbox work without only appealing to these people, it will remain dead, that is not WoW's fault. That being said, theme parks have reached their limit. even Guild Wars.... the last amazing theme park on the horizon fell short in quite a few areas.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Maroxad

There is nothing wrong with theme park mmos, the death of sandbox is due to that narrow minded sub set of no lifing human beings that believe to enjoy a game you have to grind away as a second life to inhabit this sandbox realm where you can murder and grief to your hearts content. Ultima Online ect, all follow this tragic formular. It is the eltist subset that wants the genre this way that has killed the sandbox. the closest thing you will find to sandbox now is stuff like planet side, minecraft, war z .... light elements in a persistant world. Nobody wants to die and lose all their stuff. that took them 100s of hours to grind. Until someone makes sandbox work without only appealing to these people, it will remain dead, that is not WoW's fault. That being said, theme parks have reached their limit. even Guild Wars.... the last amazing theme park on the horizon fell short in quite a few areas.MBirdy88

• Whether there is something wrong or not with themeparks is entirely subjective. But in my opinion, there is a LOT wrong with themeparks. Whether it is the boring gameplay, which relies too much on scripted boss fights, content that gets cleared way too fast resulting in droughts, gearing up and getting stronger for the sake of gearing up and getting stronger, lack of freedom, ect.
  • Sandboxes are not dead, they are niche, but hardly dead.
  • You do realize that most good sandbox mmos have safe zones where players are either unattackable or if they do get attacked the law enforcement will quickly come nad kill them. So if players want to be safe from those horribe PKs, they can just stay in thet safe zones. Granted, the best rewards are obtained outside these safe zones.
  • Items dont take 100s of hours to grind in a sandbox mmo. Unless it is really powerful stuff like titan ships. And those items are supposed to be a guild effort.
  • Full loot systems and FFA is good for the economy. You do realize there is a reason crafting skills are almost never useless in a sandbox mmo whereas in themeparks, the only professions worth a damn are those that craft consumables.
  • The biggest bane for a sandbox mmo is when they "carebear"ize it, and make the game more themeparky.

The biggest tragedy in an mmo is how you spend weeks and weeks farming gear, only to have it all obsolete in the next patch. Spending hours upon hours getting item A so you can get item B so you can get item C so you can get item D is truly the most tragic thing in the mmo genre.

But really, I think the biggest problem with most themeparks is the lack of depth, with the illusion of depth trying to cover it up. I'm sorry, but picking obvious pick me talents, and repeating a rotation until the bosses' hp bar drops to 0%, while paying attention to QTErr boss mechanics isnt what call depth.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
TC what's your avy from? It looks so damn familiar.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#221 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
[QUOTE="vfibsux"][QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

If you're so concerned about people "trolling the hell" out of topics, why have I never seen you dawn your white armour and jump on your steed and ride into a WoW thread and take the other side?

-Unreal-
There is a difference between someone sharing an opinion and someone trolling stating crap like "no one is interested in door wars 2 anymore." That is trolling, plain and simple. And it is not my job to police WoW threads which I care nothing about for trolling. There are plenty of posts in this forum with people saying they don't like GW2 and give their reasons why....without trolling. Find just ONE of those I replied to "raging" their opinion and you get a cookie. If not then shut your trap.

Like I said, you're quick to jump on me for slating DW2, but when the droves of people have been slating WoW in the same way, I don't see your white knight routine going on then. Funny that. As for your rage, you're raging in that post right there. "Shut your trap" is a clear indication of your frustration at my love for WoW, king of the MMOs 8 years running and destroyer of even the most hyped contenders for the throne (DW2.)

The mere fact you think I am raging because of WoW's success and that you share an avatar to show what a pathetic fanboy you are is laughable. If you think the world revolves around WoW to the point you needed to post this I feel sorry for you. Get a life bro.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#222 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Oh almost forgot. vfibsux, let me know why you go into WoW topics when you "hate" the game.

-Unreal-

It sure is not to troll the thread. What does it say about you that you spend this much time in a thread about a game you claim no one is interested in anymore? You're pathetic dude, seriously. The avatar you sport speaks volumes about what a pathetic little fanboy you are, I seriously hope you are not an adult.
Staff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Staff
Member since 2005 • 885 Posts

Discussion closed.

Why? Personal attacks.