Gamespot:Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Other console manufacturers are pretty close to reaching feature parity with xbl, so either they start charging or xbl online play becomes free.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
[QUOTE="youpieceopoo"]psn does suck compared to xbox live though darkspineslayer
Except it dosn't, so shut the hell up.

Dude, don't respond to him. He's a serial ban dodger.
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

Microsoft can easily make it free, they already have ads every where on it.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
I actually signed up for gold for the first time because of the $2 for 2 months thing (and believe me, I hate even paying $2). I love how even if I activate a 3 month points card, they will AUTOMATICALLY renew my subscription at the $9.99/monthly rate (even though I had just turned off automatic renewal). Such a scam. I removed my payment information as soon as I read that nonsense. Like I've said in other threads, XBOX Live Gold is like the final days of AOL, where it's almost a sham service and they try to do whatever they could to keep people hooked. But at the end of the day a service where customers pay for NOTHING can't last indefinitely.
fr3ddiemercury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 fr3ddiemercury
Member since 2012 • 494 Posts
TomMcshea and Gamespot are biased against the 360 so I dont give a fck what they think
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#56 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
hit it on spot. i never paid more then $35, after my mems run out i am 95% sure done with it... done with consoles in period
youpieceopoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 youpieceopoo
Member since 2013 • 301 Posts
[QUOTE="youpieceopoo"]psn does suck compared to xbox live though darkspineslayer

Yes no crossgame voice chat and trying to contact friend sucks
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#58 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

XBL, as it currently exists, won't survive in the coming years if it doesn't adapt. Tom McShea is dead right about it but what is going to be the triggering catalyst? An iGame device from Apple? The next Playstation? It's all the intangibles that keep people tied to Xbox (consolidated friends list, most premium hardcore controller) and if something "more cool" comes along, what's left to stop the exodus? There is no incentive to retain your membership at this point. PS Plus is by far a better model for continued success so long as you can facilitate a reasonable and acceptable method to provide those intangibles. MS is simply milking their cash cow until people realize better, at which point they'll restructure to ensure they can hold on to as many accounts as possible.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

In other news, water is wet.

Also Lawl at Mcshea if he seriously thinks m$ is ever going to drop the subscription fee.

youpieceopoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 youpieceopoo
steam blows. quake 1 & 2 multiplayer can never die \m/ ip based
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Aside from cross-game chatting and invites, the PlayStation 3's online features go toe-to-toe with the Xbox 360's" Yup even GS staff think Live is a rip off. :lol:
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
XBL has been the best service to play multiplayer on this entire gen. That said, PS+ is definitely the better value the last year or two.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

What XBL does is take the online burden off the developer and puts it on the customer.

The developer then doesn't have to host servers, because it's all done within XBL.

The developer doesn't have to host demos.

The developer doesn't have to spend alot marketing because it's marketed within XBL.

What this does is create a situation where developers prefer XBL over others, hence they develop FIRST for the 360 and then port to everybody else, so the 360 often gets the best version of games with the most DLC's, content packs, map packs, timed exclusives you name it.

XBL fee is integral to their whole strategy, it's part and parcel of the platform itself.

On Steam, it's just a store, all the burden of videos, demos, marketing, hosting, etc is on the developers, and hence many devs consider Steam to be their third string sales platform, especially if they can afford to be in the console market.

Only indy devs see Steam as their primary platform.

So while PC hardware is cheap and everybody can afford a beefy system, alot of games on Steam just end up being third-string botch jobs that got sub-contracted to India, and when a customer buys one of these games, they become frustrated and start buying things on the 360 instead to ensure a clean version.

PSN is somewhere between XBL and Steam in terms of developer attractiveness, and somewhere in between XBL and Steam in terms of customer attractiveness.

Steam has the most customer attractiveness but the worst dev attractiveness.

XBL has the worst customer attractiveness but the best dev attractiveness.

I don't think this will change at all.

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

TomMcshea and Gamespot are biased against the 360 so I dont give a fck what they thinkfr3ddiemercury

I probably broke my sarcasm detector but you are joking right? If anything, he dishes out criticism equally to everyone. This is the Tom McShea that cows were screaming for his head on a pike after InFamous 2. This is also the same McShea that bombed a Zelda game. He probably blasted some PC games too but I can't remember them.

youpieceopoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 youpieceopoo
host server post my server ip input the numbers into your game options menu and connect to the server
percuvius2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 percuvius2
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts

It worse than sucks, it's not even powerful enough for cross game or party chat. It's a pathetically WEAK service.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#67 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

It really should be free. It's stupid having to pay for it when online multiplayer and other services are free elsewhere.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
I agree. The only reason I dont have a 360 is because I dont wanna pay that BS fee
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

it amazed me you need gold to access things like internet explorer and netflix on the 360, why are you paying to play the same games that are free online on other platforms?

Chris_Williams
That's the main problem I have. I have gold membership on one of my XBoxes, but not on the other and it sucks that I can't access Netflix, Crackle or Magna media on it because I only have a silver membership on the other console. I already pay for Netflix, so I should be able to watch it on ALL my devices for free. I currently have it on my Samsung Galaxy S 2, 3DS, Sony HDTV, Samsung HDTV, IPad 2, Kindle Fire HD and two PS3's. I can watch Netflix on all these devices for free. Even if they do keep a fee for next gen, definitely remove the restrictions to all those apps. Also, lower the price to $19.99 or less a year. If they are going to keep it at $60, offer 3-4 free games each month from the OnDemand list and 1-2 games from the XBLA list. Microsoft needs to give back to all those people who have been paying for XBL Gold since the original XBox.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#70 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
This should have been written in like 2009 or like 2010. He's correct, but mad late on this epiphany.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 blackace

So happy the wrote this. I love this exerpt: "Xbox Live Gold is an antiquated dinosaur that no longer fits within this industry. It's an exploitive service that takes advantage of people's innate desire to connect with others, charging significant money ($59.99/year, or $9.99/month) for features given away for free on competing platforms. As the next generation approaches, it's time for Microsoft to shelve this nickel-and-diming venture once and for all. "

MS won't care, but it's one of the main reasons I don't have the console.

Chutebox
I don't see it as exploitive service since gamers can choice not to use it. If it's an antiquated dinosaur, PSN must be even less then that because they are still trying to match all of XBL features. Tom is pretty much bashing all online service for consoles since XBL has been the best since it began. I wonder what his thoughts are on PSN and Wii's online service. lol!! i do agree that Microsoft needs to make some significant changes to the service and what you are getting for your money. Either lower the price or add a LOT more FREE content.
youpieceopoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 youpieceopoo
lol consoles suck quake multiplayer will never die unless we stop using ip addresses
OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

So happy the wrote this. I love this exerpt: "Xbox Live Gold is an antiquated dinosaur that no longer fits within this industry. It's an exploitive service that takes advantage of people's innate desire to connect with others, charging significant money ($59.99/year, or $9.99/month) for features given away for free on competing platforms. As the next generation approaches, it's time for Microsoft to shelve this nickel-and-diming venture once and for all. "

blackace

I don't see it as exploitive service since gamers can choice not to use it. If it's an antiquated dinosaur, PSN must be even less then that because they are still trying to match all of XBL features. Tom is pretty much bashing all online service for consoles since XBL has been the best since it began. I wonder what his thoughts are on PSN and Wii's online service. lol!! i do agree that Microsoft needs to make some significant changes to the service and what you are getting for your money. Either lower the price or add a LOT more FREE content.

I believe Tom is talking about the payment for services, not the services themselves. MS could get away with paying for Netflix when it first came to consoles because it was the only console with it. But now Sony and Nintendo also have Netflix and it is free. So why does MS still charge? That is the basis of Tom's "dinosaur" bit I would think.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

If we (gamers) could agree to cancel our XBL subscriptions, MS wouldnt have much choice.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

lol the amount of people that will listen to mcseah'd now as compared to the past 2 years...

OneInchMan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 OneInchMan99
Member since 2012 • 1248 Posts

And this is why I will never own a M$ console,cause that fee is not going anywhere,its been too successful this gen.When I buy a game for my PS3 I can play everything on that disc as It should be.You really don't own your games on Xbox you're just renting them from M$,ridiculous really.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#77 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

In other news, water is wet.

Also Lawl at Mcshea if he seriously thinks m$ is ever going to drop the subscription fee.

topgunmv
He never said they would. He's just saying how it isn't really a standard anymore.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 blackace

As an online gaming service it's been outdone by Steam and as a paid gaming service it's been outclassed by PS+. Even the Wii U has started to compete now that Nintendo has discovered the internet.

So Tom's right. But Microsoft will keep on charging as long as people keep on paying, which they will because it's the only way to play their 360 games online.

Slashkice
STEAM isn't on a gaming console so... it's not even in the same category. A better comment would be STEAM has outdone Origins, Amazon, Gamestop, GoG, GamersGate and Gamefly. You pay an ISP provider to access STEAM. Everyone pays. With online games like CoD:BO2, MW3, Halo 4, etc... still very popular, chances are good that people will still continue to pay for XBL. I know people say the cost is ridiculous compared to other services, but for most gamers who work, $60 a year is nothing. That's like losing some pocket change if you're making $75K a year or more. That's the main reason many gamers continue to pay to play.
Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="Slashkice"]

As an online gaming service it's been outdone by Steam and as a paid gaming service it's been outclassed by PS+. Even the Wii U has started to compete now that Nintendo has discovered the internet.

So Tom's right. But Microsoft will keep on charging as long as people keep on paying, which they will because it's the only way to play their 360 games online.

STEAM isn't on a gaming console so... it's not even in the same category. A better comment would be STEAM has outdone Origins, Amazon, Gamestop, GoG, GamersGate and Gamefly. You pay an ISP provider to access STEAM. Everyone pays. With online games like CoD:BO2, MW3, Halo 4, etc... still very popular, chances are good that people will still continue to pay for XBL. I know people say the cost is ridiculous compared to other services, but for most gamers who work, $60 a year is nothing. That's like losing some pocket change if you're making $75K a year or more. That's the main reason many gamers continue to pay to play.

blackace you always make the funniest sarcastic jokes (not saying this is one just saying)
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 blackace

[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="Chutebox"]

OneLazyAsian

I believe Tom is talking about the payment for services, not the services themselves. MS could get away with paying for Netflix when it first came to consoles because it was the only console with it. But now Sony and Nintendo also have Netflix and it is free. So why does MS still charge? That is the basis of Tom's "dinosaur" bit I would think.

Oh, ok. I agree with you and him on that fact. It's total BS.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
if you want it to turn sh!tty like PSN that's your choice :cool:
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
I actually signed up for gold for the first time because of the $2 for 2 months thing (and believe me, I hate even paying $2). I love how even if I activate a 3 month points card, they will AUTOMATICALLY renew my subscription at the $9.99/monthly rate (even though I had just turned off automatic renewal). Such a scam. I removed my payment information as soon as I read that nonsense. Like I've said in other threads, XBOX Live Gold is like the final days of AOL, where it's almost a sham service and they try to do whatever they could to keep people hooked. But at the end of the day a service where customers pay for NOTHING can't last indefinitely.2Chalupas
lol so many lies. not only have you confirmed what other charlie sheens have claimed in the past that it is impossible to remove ones payment information from xbox live *now its all of a sudden easy* sony does the exact same thing when you sign up for ps plus again it signs you up for auto renewal at the level which you paid I.E 3 months or a year, and it is extremely easy to turn off auto renewal on both services.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

If we (gamers) could agree to cancel our XBL subscriptions, MS wouldnt have much choice.

moistsandwich
No need for me to cancel. They "lost" my Gold account.. And whenever the problem gets escalated to someone who can supposedly help me get it back, they just send me a form to reset my goddamn password. Hell, they should owe me atleast a year of Gold for losing my first Live account...
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

XBOX LIVE is clearly the gold standard. Nothing to see here folks, false article, move on.

percuvius2

Natalie-Portman.png

Paying for P2P gaming... really gold. Now that you can get web browsers, netflix and pretty much everything else Microsoft offers on TVs and smartphones for free (hell even Apple doesn't charge for online gaming), it really has come to a point that people are paying just to unlock the online portions of their game, peer2peer gaming too which makes it really sad.

If they want to continue charging they need to get deals with publishers/devs to have dedicated servers for big games, putting it ahead of PS4, WiiU and get other content for free to the people like PS+.

Of course this won't happen and we will continue to have the Microsoft apologist turning up on this forum.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Aside from cross-game chatting and invites, the PlayStation 3's online features go toe-to-toe with the Xbox 360's, and just about every other aspect of the premium experience is made redundant by free equivalents on other systems.TomMcshea

I'll file this one under the TLHBR category. Glad we can put the argument behind us.

And yes, the article is 100% true.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#86 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

it amazed me you need gold to access things like internet explorer and netflix on the 360, why are you paying to play the same games that are free online on other platforms?

Chris_Williams
As mentioned it's because MS can do it, all those little kids playing Xbox don't look and say "Oh but other platforms allow me to use Netflix without a subscription" they say "I need a subscription to play Netflix.. MUM!!!".
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
This article is being written now? This has been the case for years. Every point made by McShea has been discussed heavily before in SW
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 PinnacleGamingP
This article is being written now? This has been the case for years. Every point made by McShea has been discussed heavily before in SWBPoole96
BPoole you always have such a deep dedication to your posts
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#89 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
i'm sure the xbox fans will continue paying because MS says they should
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Link? I can't find the editorial section in GameSpot's cluttered mess.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#91 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
This article is being written now? This has been the case for years. Every point made by McShea has been discussed heavily before in SWBPoole96
he brings up many tidbits of info that have never been discussed on here. Also, not everyone catalogues every shred of info generated on this forum.
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#92 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

The reason why Microsoft insists on using this draconian pricing method is clear: They make money from it. TomMcshea

And Tom puts the reason why XBL Gold will not go anywhere anytime soon in his own article. What is there to discuss?

There will be no Bastille Day for anyone on the Xbox platform.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#93 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

DrTrafalgarLaw

It's the first top-slotted article on the front page of the site, but here ya go :)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#94 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I would think that Microsoft could do themselves wonders by finding alternate methods of making money off of XBL and dropping the fee all together. Not that they will.

PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 PinnacleGamingP
[QUOTE="Synthia"]

[QUOTE="DrTrafalgarLaw"]

It's the first top-slotted article on the front page of the site, but here ya go :)

:O <3
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]This article is being written now? This has been the case for years. Every point made by McShea has been discussed heavily before in SWGunSmith1_basic
he brings up many tidbits of info that have never been discussed on here. Also, not everyone catalogues every shred of info generated on this forum.

It's just that it doesn't offer anything more insightful than your average "XBL is a rip off thread". I guess it has more impact coming from a GS Staff Member but nearly everything he said was still true 2 years ago
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

[quote="TomMcshea"]The reason why Microsoft insists on using this draconian pricing method is clear: They make money from it. R3FURBISHED

And Tom puts the reason why XBL Gold will not go anywhere anytime soon in his own article. What is there to discuss?

There will be no Bastille Day for anyone on the Xbox platform.

The discussion is forcing Microsoft to remove the pay-wall. Less than 40% of all XBL accounts are gold-accounts and the percentage is declining. That's an omen for Microsoft. If they keep extorting video gamers to pay up for the basic standard of online play, they will go byebye like the dreamcast next-gen. The mainly (man)children that have parents paying their XBLG-accounts, will eventually grow up and learn the value of money when having to pay for things like these themselves. They won't pony the money up and go PS4 or PC. The 360 is a dinosaur this gen and will be extinct next gen.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#98 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="youpieceopoo"]psn does suck compared to xbox live though youpieceopoo

Yes no crossgame voice chat and trying to contact friend sucks

because party chat makes it ok to pay for xbox live?. ps3 doesn't do it for money it does it because ps3 design sucks... lol
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]This article is being written now? This has been the case for years. Every point made by McShea has been discussed heavily before in SWPinnacleGamingP
BPoole you always have such a deep dedication to your posts

Thanks.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#100 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

I just have to wonder if Sony will have subscription bases online with the PS4. Seeing how they're really pushing PS+ I can easily see them having some sort of subscription.