Is 1.84 TFLOPS a lot for a GPU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#551 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

AMD measures it differnetly than Nvidia. It's less powerful than my 3 1/2 year old AMD 5870 (2.72 vs. 1.84).

scoots9
GCN is much more efficient and the 7000 series has much improved tessellation.
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#552 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Isn't the 7790 pretty close to the PS4's setup in TFLOPs? Wonder if Kaveri will xfire with 7790? That would be a nice APU+GPU xfire combo for around $250.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#553 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Isn't the 7790 pretty close to the PS4's setup in TFLOPs? Wonder if Kaveri will xfire with 7790? That would be a nice APU+GPU xfire combo for around $250.

gamecubepad

The PS4 TFLOPS is between a 7850 and 7870

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#554 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

I built a GTX 580 rig in 2011 with 8gb of GDDR3 RAM. Ps4 will have much better graphics than I can achieve on it (especially when the optimization really kicks in) which is awesome news :D! I think Sony has chosen smart specs. Hopefully next gen won't be as long. Five years is better imo.

AM-Gamer

The GTX 580 is more powerful (especially when OCed) and no optimization will change that for consoles.

Optimization has more of an effect on the CPU when compared with the overhead from API on PC.

The only edge the console will have over your 2011 PC is RAM which is more for textures and not performance.

PS4 will wipe the floor with the GTX580 please GTFO. Hearing your lack of knowledge on optimization is embarrassing. 

Actually not really since a GTX 580 is as fast or in some cases faster then a 7870 (like 10-20% faster in some games like BF3 or Skyrim). The PS4 gpu is only suppose to be about 10% faster then a 7850 while a 7870 is 20-30% faster then a 7850. The only problem that could happen that the PS4 could out do a GTX 580 is if the game assets allocates more then 1.5gb of  video memory. Whats funny is that PS4's gpu is only on par with performance with top dog gpu's from 2010.

Also wheres this optimization I keep hearing about.... I mean I dont see it. All I see is sub 30 fps averages, sub hd resolutions, missing and or lower quality graphics... Fact is that optimization only allows the hardware to be more efficient with its resources not make it magically faster. The hardware can only process as much as it was designed to do.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#555 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]

lostrib

A 7790 can do 1.79 TFLOP so its not far off.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#556 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

People put too much stock into teraflops.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#557 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

The GTX 580 is more powerful (especially when OCed) and no optimization will change that for consoles.

Optimization has more of an effect on the CPU when compared with the overhead from API on PC.

The only edge the console will have over your 2011 PC is RAM which is more for textures and not performance.

04dcarraher

PS4 will wipe the floor with the GTX580 please GTFO. Hearing your lack of knowledge on optimization is embarrassing. 

Actually not really since a GTX 580 is as fast or in some cases faster then a 7870 (like 10-20% faster in some games like BF3 or Skyrim). The PS4 gpu is only suppose to be about 10% faster then a 7850 while a 7870 is 20-30% faster then a 7850. The only problem that could happen that the PS4 could out do a GTX 580 is if the game assets allocates more then 1.5gb of  video memory. Whats funny is that PS4's gpu is only on par with performance with top dog gpu's from 2010.

Also wheres this optimization I keep hearing about.... I mean I dont see it. All I see is sub 30 fps averages, sub hd resolutions, missing and or lower quality graphics... Fact is that optimization only allows the hardware to be more efficient with its resources not make it magically faster. The hardware can only process as much as it was designed to do.

You don't see what? There are no PS4 games that are finished yet and everything so far for the system is pretty much confirmed to be running in 1080p, at least everything that was shown so there is nothing sub HD about it.  Regardless I will listen to the devs and look at the games, a Pc with a gtx580 will not touch what the PS4 is doing 1 year from now. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#558 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="gamecubepad"]

04dcarraher

wth? according to AMD's website the 7850 does 1.76 and the 7790 does 1.79. Of course TFLOPs arent everything though

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#559 lostrib

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

AM-Gamer

You don't see what? There are no PS4 games that are finished yet and everything so far for the system is pretty much confirmed to be running in 1080p, at least everything that was shown so there is nothing sub HD about it.  Regardless I will listen to the devs and look at the games, a Pc with a gtx580 will not touch what the PS4 is doing 1 year from now. 

source?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#560 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

AM-Gamer

Fanboy much?

You dont see all the current console games having frame rate issues and having to use sub HD resolutions? optimization is not magic, I was not talking about the PS4 about how it couldn't do 1080.... fact is that the PS4 gpu is not any stronger then a GTX 580 and in many cases its slower.Which means until those games start using more then 1.5gb of Vram a GTX 580 will outperform the PS4.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561 lostrib

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] Actually not really since a GTX 580 is as fast or in some cases faster then a 7870 (like 10-20% faster in some games like BF3 or Skyrim). The PS4 gpu is only suppose to be about 10% faster then a 7850 while a 7870 is 20-30% faster then a 7850. The only problem that could happen that the PS4 could out do a GTX 580 is if the game assets allocates more then 1.5gb of  video memory. Whats funny is that PS4's gpu is only on par with performance with top dog gpu's from 2010.

04dcarraher

Fanboy much?

You dont see all the current console games having frame rate issues and having to use sub HD resolutions? optimization is not magic, I was not talking about the PS4 about how it couldn't do 1080.... fact is that the PS4 gpu is not any stronger then a GTX 580 and in many cases its slower.Which means until those games start using more then 1.5gb of Vram a GTX 580 will outperform the PS4.

insert 8gb GDDR5 RAM argument.  Followed by optimization argument.  Followed by i prefer consoles. Are we done?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#562 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

wth? according to AMD's website the 7850 does 1.76 and the 7790 does 1.79. Of course TFLOPs arent everything though

Clock rates play a role in their operating performance (1000mhz vs 860mhz). a overclocked 7850 can do more then 2 TFLOP.
AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#563 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] Actually not really since a GTX 580 is as fast or in some cases faster then a 7870 (like 10-20% faster in some games like BF3 or Skyrim). The PS4 gpu is only suppose to be about 10% faster then a 7850 while a 7870 is 20-30% faster then a 7850. The only problem that could happen that the PS4 could out do a GTX 580 is if the game assets allocates more then 1.5gb of  video memory. Whats funny is that PS4's gpu is only on par with performance with top dog gpu's from 2010.

04dcarraher

Fanboy much? You dont see all the current console games having frame rate issues and having to use sub HD resolutions? optimization is not magic, I was not talking about the PS4 about how it couldn't do 1080.... also fact is that the PS4 gpu is not any stronger then a GTX 580 and in many cases its slower.

You are calling someone a fanboy?  LMAO really?

These consoels are 7 years old yes they have framerate probles and do sub 720p on "SOME GAMES" they still hold up alot better then 7 year old pc's. The conosles use to struggle to run gams like Oblivion and later churned out skyrim which looked far superior in every way. Will it match current pc hardware? No but nobody said it would. 

Also the fact is a PS4 will smoke any pc running a GTX580 just like it would beat any pc running a 7850.  A pc with similar specs isnt going to outperform a console.  You are doing the simple thing and acting like a PS4 is nothing but a windows based pc . 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#564 lostrib

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

AM-Gamer

Fanboy much? You dont see all the current console games having frame rate issues and having to use sub HD resolutions? optimization is not magic, I was not talking about the PS4 about how it couldn't do 1080.... also fact is that the PS4 gpu is not any stronger then a GTX 580 and in many cases its slower.

These consoels are 7 years old yes they have framerate probles and do sub 720p on "SOME GAMES" they still hold up alot better then 7 year old pc's. 

Also the fact is a PS4 will smoke any pc running a GTX580 just like it would beat any pc running a 7850.  A pc with similar specs isnt going to outperform a console.  You are doing the simple thing and acting like a PS4 is nothing but a windows based pc . 

benchmarks?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#565 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] Fanboy much? You dont see all the current console games having frame rate issues and having to use sub HD resolutions? optimization is not magic, I was not talking about the PS4 about how it couldn't do 1080.... also fact is that the PS4 gpu is not any stronger then a GTX 580 and in many cases its slower. lostrib

These consoels are 7 years old yes they have framerate probles and do sub 720p on "SOME GAMES" they still hold up alot better then 7 year old pc's. 

benchmarks?

Wil know soon enough when PS4 games come out. There are no benchmarksof next gen console games. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#566 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

AM-Gamer

benchmarks?

Wil know soon enough when PS4 games come out. There are no benchmarksof next gen console games. 

Ah, then just hopes and dreams. Got it

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

benchmarks?

lostrib

Na I say delusions....
AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#568 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

benchmarks?

lostrib

Thats all hermits rely on, that and speculation. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#569 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

04dcarraher

Na I say delusions....

delusions of grandeur?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#570 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

AM-Gamer

isn't that literally what you're doing?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#571 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

04dcarraher

Na I say delusions....

LOL you wanna go on record right now and say a pc with a 7850 or GTX580 will outperform the PS4 for years to come?  

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#572 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

I know enough about pc's and consoels to know whats going to happen. A 7800gtx spec wise was more powerful then the RSX and 3 years after its release it struggled to run games that a PS3 was doing just fine.  This will be no diffrent.  

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#573 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

AM-Gamer

I know enough about pc's and consoels to know whats going to happen. A 7800gtx spec wise was more powerful then the RSX and 3 years after its release it struggled to run games that a PS3 was doing just fine.  This will be no diffrent.  

or it will be, you neve know.  All you are doing is speculating. No different than the hermits you just maligned 

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#574 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

or it will be, you neve know.  All you are doing is speculating. No different than the hermits you just maligned 

Um yes we will, there will be benchmarks of those cards for years to come we can see how they compare with the consoles for at least the next 2 years. 

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#575 04dcarraher

AM-Gamer

Na I say delusions....

LOL you wanna go on record right now and say a pc with a 7850 or GTX580 will outperform the PS4 for years to come?  

lol, you want learn a few things before you make yourself look even more like a Sheep.... O wait too late The PS4 gpu is already faster then a stock 7850, however a overclocked 7850 is a different story. Also you just cant get past the fact that a GTX 580 can match and outperform a 7870 which is faster then PS4 gpu with 20 CU and can do 2.5 TFLOP...
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

AM-Gamer

If you do know enough about Pc you wouldnt be hyping the PS4 or shooting down gpu's that are actually faster then the gpu in the PS4.. also you dont understand that the only reason why the PS3 is doing better then 7800 is because Sony had to tap into the Cell's original design with the SPE's doing graphics jobs to help out the RSX to be able to matchor surpass the 360 abilities. Fact is that both upcoming consoles are x86 based and are using semi custom parts which means the magic "optimization" will be barely there.
AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#578 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] Na I say delusions....04dcarraher

lol, you want learn a few things before you make yourself look even more like a Sheep.... O wait too late The PS4 gpu is already faster then a stock 7850, however a overclocked 7850 is a different story. Also you just cant get past the fact that a GTX 580 can match and outperform a 7870 which is faster then PS4 gpu with 20 CU and can do 2.5 TFLOP...

Yet I already know more then you, a small raw power advantage isnt going to make up for the superior architecture .  Not to mention they havent given the full specs of hte PS4's GPU outside of Tflop performance.  You honestly think a pc with a OCed 7850 is going to beat a PS4 ? Ill mark that down for future ownage . 

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#579 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

04dcarraher

If you do know enough about Pc you wouldnt be hyping the PS4 or shooting down gpu's that are actually faster then the gpu in the PS4.. also you dont understand that the only reason why the PS3 is doing better then 7800 is because Sony had to tap into the Cell's original design with the SPE's doing graphics jobs to help out the RSX to be able to matchor surpass the 360 abilities. Fact is that both upcoming consoles are x86 based and are using semi custom parts which means the magic "optimization" will be barely there.

LOL its so funny for years all hermits did was bash the Cell and talked about how worthless it was, now you finally admit it was the reason the PS3 outperformed PC's with superior GPU's. Regardless the PS4 will be doing the same with superior textures and now a far better architecture.  Yes there X86 but the GPU and CPU will communicate seamlessly .  Its also not running windows and the game devs have far more control over the hardware then they could ever get with a pc.  Some of the visual effects the PS4 will be able to do a PC is going to have to do with more raw power and neither the GTX580 or a oced 7850 are going to have that power to make up for the diffrence. 

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#580 04dcarraher

AM-Gamer

Yet I already know more then you, a small raw power advantage isnt going to make up for the superior architecture .  Not to mention they havent given the full specs of hte PS4's GPU outside of Tflop performance.  You honestly think a pc with a OCed 7850 is going to beat a PS4 ? Ill mark that down for future ownage . 

superior architecture? are you serious? :lol: its using slightly modified GCN based gpu and using a cpu architecture designed for low tdp usage ie laptops. You think the 8gb of GDDR5 is going to make it faster..... Fact is that a PC with a modern quad core or higher core count cpu with 8gb DDR3 and a gpu that as fast or slightly faster then PS4's gpu will match or outperform it. Its no different from seeing old dual core cpu's and equally power gpu's ie like 8600's or even x1950's matching or out doing the current consoles.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#581 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

AM-Gamer

LOL its so funny for years all hermits did was bash the Cell and talked about how worthless it was, now you finally admit it was the reason the PS3 outperformed PC's with superior GPU's. Regardless the PS4 will be doing the same with superior textures and now a far better architecture.  Yes there X86 but the GPU and CPU will communicate seamlessly .  Its also not running windows and the game devs have far more control over the hardware then they could ever get with a pc.  Some of the visual effects the PS4 will be able to do a PC is going to have to do with more raw power and neither the GTX580 or a oced 7850 are going to have that power to make up for the diffrence. 

The Cell WAS worthless, it was hugely complicated to program for. On paper it was a powerhouse but when it came time to put up or shut up the Cell fell flat. That is part of the reason why multiplats suck on the PS3.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#583 04dcarraher

AM-Gamer

huh? The cell as a cpu does suck, the SPE's of the cell was its only saving grace. The PS3 didnt out perform the 7800GTX until the card was phased out and by the time the PS3 was in full swing in using the Cell+RSX it already lost the battle at its release time... aka 8800's

What you seem not to understand that the it being an APU will have no bearing in performing better then PC's with much stronger cpu's. Why do you think the ps4 will do better textures ? hmm? is it the 8gb of GDDR5 you hype about? Its not going to happen you will see between 1-3gb usage. Also you have no idea that all OS functions and overhead is done on the cpu, which means as long as you have a modern cpu your excuse of running windows is dumb. Also lets not forget that AMD is introducing same coding from PS4 on all current and future products and Intel and Nvidia are also working on same methods in lowering overheads.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#584 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] lol, you want learn a few things before you make yourself look even more like a Sheep.... O wait too late The PS4 gpu is already faster then a stock 7850, however a overclocked 7850 is a different story. Also you just cant get past the fact that a GTX 580 can match and outperform a 7870 which is faster then PS4 gpu with 20 CU and can do 2.5 TFLOP...04dcarraher

superior architecture? are you serious? :lol: its using slightly modified GCN based gpu and using a cpu architecture designed for low tdp usage ie laptops. You think the 8gb of GDDR5 is going to make it faster..... Fact is that a PC with a modern quad core or higher core count cpu with 8gb DDR3 and a gpu that as fast or slightly faster then PS4's gpu will match or outperform it. Its no different from seeing old dual core cpu's and equally power gpu's ie like 8600's or even x1950's matching or out doing the current consoles.

LOL the cpu is not slightly modified, it has double the cores at a higher clock speed and AMD went on record saying it was more powerful then the ones in tablets or netbooks. The fact you are asking the wrong questions leads me to believe you have little knowledge on the subject.  8gb of GDDR 5 wont make it faster however it will allow it to do extremely high quality textures and neither GPU we are talking about will have the raw power to make up the difference. Some of the hermits who are stupid enough to believe only 3 to 4gbs will be used for visuals is hilarious and if you are in this camp just stop talking now. 

I also think its funny hermits keep blabbering about the cpu when I cant remember the last time a cpu has limited my game on a pc.  Its also far different then a duel core and a 8600 outperforming a console because they coudln't do it unless they had about 4x the ram. 

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#585 AM-Gamer

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] If you do know enough about Pc you wouldnt be hyping the PS4 or shooting down gpu's that are actually faster then the gpu in the PS4.. also you dont understand that the only reason why the PS3 is doing better then 7800 is because Sony had to tap into the Cell's original design with the SPE's doing graphics jobs to help out the RSX to be able to matchor surpass the 360 abilities. Fact is that both upcoming consoles are x86 based and are using semi custom parts which means the magic "optimization" will be barely there. 04dcarraher

huh? The cell as a cpu does suck, the SPE's of the cell was its only saving grace. The PS3 didnt out perform the 7800GTX until the card was phased out and by the time the PS3 was in full swing in using the Cell+RSX it already lost the battle at its release time... aka 8800's

What you seem not to understand that the it being an APU will have no bearing in performing better then PC's with much stronger cpu's. Why do you think the ps4 will do better textures ? hmm? is it the 8gb of GDDR5 you hype about? Its not going to happen you will see between 1-3gb usage. Also you have no idea that all OS functions and overhead is done on the cpu, which means as long as you have a modern cpu your excuse of running windows is dumb. Also lets not forget that AMD is introducing same coding from PS4 on all current and future products and Intel and Nvidia are also working on same methods in lowering overheads.

1 to 3gb of usage for graphics memory?  At this point I feel like im talking to a troll. Goodnight 

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#586 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

AM-Gamer

1 to 3gb of usage for graphics memory?  At this point I feel like im talking to a troll. Goodnight 

04dcarraher is not really a troll because he is not doing it intentionally. In my humble opinion he is just plain stupid.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#587 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="topgunmv"]

Double precision vs single precision.

teeboy1234

Both are single precision. GTX 480's double precision is a joke, like most NVIDIA hardware.

Oh please!! AMD hardware is the joke.. most of the time they have to use two GPUs on a single card to beat Nvidia's single GPU solution so they can claim the "fastest card" and when that isn't enough the fanbois start crying about how AMD uses less energy or less heat so it's the winner Don't even get me started on AMD's piss poor drivers AMD should just give it up and move on .. it's embarrassing watching them die so slowly

LOL,

1. NV Titan's chip size is 551 mm^2 while AMD Tahiti's chip size is 365 mm^2.

2. NVIDIA drivers has own it's issues.

3. AMD has additional CPU R&D expenses (i.e. Jaguar and Streamroller) while NVIDIA only has "cut and paste" ARM IP.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#588 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] If you do know enough about Pc you wouldnt be hyping the PS4 or shooting down gpu's that are actually faster then the gpu in the PS4.. also you dont understand that the only reason why the PS3 is doing better then 7800 is because Sony had to tap into the Cell's original design with the SPE's doing graphics jobs to help out the RSX to be able to matchor surpass the 360 abilities. Fact is that both upcoming consoles are x86 based and are using semi custom parts which means the magic "optimization" will be barely there. 04dcarraher

LOL its so funny for years all hermits did was bash the Cell and talked about how worthless it was, now you finally admit it was the reason the PS3 outperformed PC's with superior GPU's. Regardless the PS4 will be doing the same with superior textures and now a far better architecture. Yes there X86 but the GPU and CPU will communicate seamlessly . Its also not running windows and the game devs have far more control over the hardware then they could ever get with a pc. Some of the visual effects the PS4 will be able to do a PC is going to have to do with more raw power and neither the GTX580 or a oced 7850 are going to have that power to make up for the diffrence.

For Nvidia, current TCC driver disables Direct3D functions i.e. there could be concurrent context issues.

Intel Instant Access only works with Intel IGP which is uselss for non-Intel GPU solutions.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#589 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Ronvalencia,do you work for AMD?(serious question)

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#590 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] A 7790 can do 1.79 TFLOP so its not far off.04dcarraher

Clock rates play a role in their operating performance (1000mhz vs 860mhz). a overclocked 7850 can do more then 2 TFLOP.

1Ghz 7850 is just over 2.0 TFLOPS.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#591 ronvalencia

Ronvalencia,do you work for AMD?(serious question)

call_of_duty_10
I'm sure you can use google.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#592 ronvalencia

You don't see what? There are no PS4 games that are finished yet and everything so far for the system is pretty much confirmed to be running in 1080p, at least everything that was shown so there is nothing sub HD about it. Regardless I will listen to the devs and look at the games, a Pc with a gtx580 will not touch what the PS4 is doing 1 year from now.

AM-Gamer

You are calling someone a fanboy? LMAO really?

These consoels are 7 years old yes they have framerate probles and do sub 720p on "SOME GAMES" they still hold up alot better then 7 year old pc's. The conosles use to struggle to run gams like Oblivion and later churned out skyrim which looked far superior in every way. Will it match current pc hardware? No but nobody said it would.

Also the fact is a PS4 will smoke any pc running a GTX580 just like it would beat any pc running a 7850. A pc with similar specs isnt going to outperform a console. You are doing the simple thing and acting like a PS4 is nothing but a windows based pc .

With similar GFLOPS, X1950 Pro's Crysis 2 result is similar to Xbox 360's Crysis 2.

For AMD HSA GpGPU and PC games, refer to http://www.slideshare.net/zlatan4177/gpgpu-algorithms-in-games There's a problem with PC's GpGPU compute latency but AMD HSA fixes MS's induced issues.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#593 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] If you do know enough about Pc you wouldnt be hyping the PS4 or shooting down gpu's that are actually faster then the gpu in the PS4.. also you dont understand that the only reason why the PS3 is doing better then 7800 is because Sony had to tap into the Cell's original design with the SPE's doing graphics jobs to help out the RSX to be able to matchor surpass the 360 abilities. Fact is that both upcoming consoles are x86 based and are using semi custom parts which means the magic "optimization" will be barely there. clyde46

The Cell WAS worthless, it was hugely complicated to program for. On paper it was a powerhouse but when it came time to put up or shut up the Cell fell flat. That is part of the reason why multiplats suck on the PS3.

According Fold @ Home, CELL wasn't a math power house compared to Radeon X1900 (and later GeForce 8800).
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#594 ronvalencia

AM-Gamer

Na I say delusions....

Without factoring clock speed, PS4's 18 CU count already exceeds 7850's 16 CU count. In terms of raster performance, 7850's 860Mhz 32 ROPs would exceed PS4's 800Mhz 32 ROPs. I would prefer PS4 to have 16 CUs + 32 ROPs @ 900Mhz i.e. for raster performance and ~1.84 TFLOPs instead of 18 CUs (1.84 TFLOPs) + 32 ROPs @ 800Mhz.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#595 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"] The Cell WAS worthless, it was hugely complicated to program for. On paper it was a powerhouse but when it came time to put up or shut up the Cell fell flat. That is part of the reason why multiplats suck on the PS3.

No and you don't know sh** of what your saying,the only reason some multiplatform perform better on 360,is because the 360 doesn't have a separate ram is unified,the 360 also has a slimmer OS which mean more free memory for games. The fun thing is no 360 games look like Uncharted 3 or Beyond 2 souls,Cell was so great that it helped a crappy,bandwidth starved,low ROP and low memory GPU beat one more advance and stronger GPU.. Multiplatform problems on PS3 have a name Developers and memory,not Cell... By the way several multiplatform games are actually better on PS3..
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#596 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
With similar GFLOPS, X1950 Pro's Crysis 2 result is similar to Xbox 360's Crysis 2.

For AMD HSA GpGPU and PC games, refer to http://www.slideshare.net/zlatan4177/gpgpu-algorithms-in-games There's a problem with PC's GpGPU compute latency but AMD HSA fixes MS's induced issues.

ronvalencia
1st. The X1950 is 1 year newer than the 360 you damn well know what a damn year on PC GPU markets means. 2nd AMD is late with HSA,and HSA will only work on HSA compatible hardware,i have posted this like 10 times,HSA will not works on every single PC out there,so it means nothing,by the time HSA even start to dent into PC the PS4 will be like 3 or 4 years old,adaptation on PC is super slow..
SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#597 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="clyde46"] The Cell WAS worthless, it was hugely complicated to program for. On paper it was a powerhouse but when it came time to put up or shut up the Cell fell flat. That is part of the reason why multiplats suck on the PS3.

No and you don't know sh** of what your saying,the only reason some multiplatform perform better on 360,is because the 360 doesn't have a separate ram is unified,the 360 also has a slimmer OS which mean more free memory for games. The fun thing is no 360 games look like Uncharted 3 or Beyond 2 souls,Cell was so great that it helped a crappy,bandwidth starved,low ROP and low memory GPU beat one more advance and stronger GPU.. Multiplatform problems on PS3 have a name Developers and memory,not Cell... By the way several multiplatform games are actually better on PS3..

tl'dr
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#598 lostrib

[QUOTE="clyde46"] The Cell WAS worthless, it was hugely complicated to program for. On paper it was a powerhouse but when it came time to put up or shut up the Cell fell flat. That is part of the reason why multiplats suck on the PS3. tormentos

but it seems the majority of multiplats are better on 360 (out of the two consoles).  At least according to the miniscule details fanboys look at

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#599 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"] The Cell WAS worthless, it was hugely complicated to program for. On paper it was a powerhouse but when it came time to put up or shut up the Cell fell flat. That is part of the reason why multiplats suck on the PS3. tormentos

....... No it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the cell processor was a non native x86 platform which led to numerous problems with developers.. :roll:

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#600 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

I don't know if it's been pointed out already, but I'd just like to mention that AMD cards typically have higher FLOP counts than Nvidia cards, so you need to be careful saying stuff like "1.84TFLOPS--it's a GTX580!!" as that's not the case. The 7870 (which has a similar FLOP count) is more comparable to a 560ti than a 580.