Is 1.84 TFLOPS a lot for a GPU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#251 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="tormentos"] The PS4 has a companion chip for recording,so no performance hit is suffer,that is one of the reason of my efficiency claims. The PS4 also has a ARM for OS,which mean no CPU core touch either or at worst case scenario incredible minimal impact. I know it will not make the GPU more powerful i never say that,it will allow how ever the GPU to work to its fullest.Tessellation

And your getting this info from where? because it looks like wishful dreaming

''There was also talk of a new processing module in the PS4 hardware designed to handle tasks like background downloading. Our sources suggest a low-power ARM core designed to handle "standby" tasks along these lines, while the console also saves the current gameplay state when the system is closed down, meaning instant access to the last game you played when you power up again. OS tasks and resource allocation remain unknown (512MB or thereabouts was discussed with developers) but we now have some idea of what this system can do: Sony talks about running a web browser "and other applications" during gameplay.''

I believe that still needs RAM.

I see where he got his info but the fact they state standby tasks and a low power ARM core does not translate into flawless real time recording , since recording is very demanding with processing ,on hdd and memory usage. You can not have a perfect system without no hiccups
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#252 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]And your getting this info from where? because it looks like wishful dreaming, since recording is very demanding processing ,on hdd and memory usage. You can not have a perfect system without no hiccups tormentos
Maybe you should stop talking and read the links i have been pasting.. You apparently did not see the conference right.? ""Sony has a hardware video encoder and it knows how to use it! The sharing of gameplay over IP was one of the impressive elements of the presentation."" The video of Killzone on pS4 was recorded while playing and uploaded after..

I wonder if there will be a way to access those files locally so I can upload them to Youtube.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]And your getting this info from where? because it looks like wishful dreaming, since recording is very demanding processing ,on hdd and memory usage. You can not have a perfect system without no hiccups tormentos
Maybe you should stop talking and read the links i have been pasting.. You apparently did not see the conference right.? ""Sony has a hardware video encoder and it knows how to use it! The sharing of gameplay over IP was one of the impressive elements of the presentation."" The video of Killzone on pS4 was recorded while playing and uploaded after..

O yes taking Sony's word thats a new one... their consoles never do what they promise. I highly doubt that killzone video was done on PS4.... it was done on a dev kit.

a low power ARM core does not translate into flawless real time recording , since recording is very demanding with processing ,on hdd and memory usage. You can not have a perfect system without no hiccups

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#254 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] And your getting this info from where? because it looks like wishful dreaming04dcarraher

''There was also talk of a new processing module in the PS4 hardware designed to handle tasks like background downloading. Our sources suggest a low-power ARM core designed to handle "standby" tasks along these lines, while the console also saves the current gameplay state when the system is closed down, meaning instant access to the last game you played when you power up again. OS tasks and resource allocation remain unknown (512MB or thereabouts was discussed with developers) but we now have some idea of what this system can do: Sony talks about running a web browser "and other applications" during gameplay.''

I see where he got his info but the fact they state standby tasks and a low power ARM core does not translate into flawless real time recording , since recording is very demanding with processing ,on hdd and memory usage. You can not have a perfect system without no hiccups

These consoles are more like embedded systems and a low powered arm core could easily do that, PC's have other issues where the I/O might be tied up so they use a much larger buffer to store excess pictures. You really have a lot more control over the hardware in a console and that's where the efficiency comes from
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 clyde46
[QUOTE="Tessellation"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] And your getting this info from where? because it looks like wishful dreaming04dcarraher

That LIVE Gamer HD stuff works pretty well. If you can encode on a dedicated chip it takes the load off the CPU.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="Tessellation"]

clyde46

That LIVE Gamer HD stuff works pretty well. If you can encode on a dedicated chip it takes the load off the CPU.

however the memory and hdd usage is taxing.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

savagetwinkie

These consoles are more like embedded systems and a low powered arm core could easily do that, PC's have other issues where the I/O might be tied up so they use a much larger buffer to store excess pictures. You really have a lot more control over the hardware in a console and that's where the efficiency comes from

You can not get away from the resources needed to record live video while gaming. Unless they dedicate more memory and keep on memory without using the hdd then writing onto the hdd afterward your going to run into performance issues.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 clyde46
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] I see where he got his info but the fact they state standby tasks and a low power ARM core does not translate into flawless real time recording , since recording is very demanding with processing ,on hdd and memory usage. You can not have a perfect system without no hiccups

however the memory and hdd usage is large.

Not really, if you are encoding on the fly you can get some very respectable file sizes. It doesn't that much in the RAM either.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="clyde46"] That LIVE Gamer HD stuff works pretty well. If you can encode on a dedicated chip it takes the load off the CPU. clyde46
however the memory and hdd usage is large.

Not really, if you are encoding on the fly you can get some very respectable file sizes. It doesn't that much in the RAM either.

raw same resolution video recording is very taxing and unless they are allocating more memory and keep the data on the memory without using the hdd then writing onto the hdd afterward your going to run into performance issues.and to encode the raw video on the fly will take some massive processing if its not to affect the player's game. Your looking at an low powered ARM core that has to record encode ans storge this data without affecting the game or sysytem performance I doubt its just the ARM doing the work.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 clyde46
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] however the memory and hdd usage is large.

raw same resolution video recording is very taxing and unless they are allocating more memory and keep the data on the memory without using the hdd then writing onto the hdd afterward your going to run into performance issues.

I know what RAW video requires as I do record FRAPS a lot. What I'm saying is you can have a separate chip that handles on the recording while you play leaving the CPU or the PS4's case APU to get on with handling the game. Thats how that LIVE Gamer HD card works, on board is a little chip that takes up the encoding. The minimum specs for this thing to run is simple dual core and 512mb of RAM.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="clyde46"] Not really, if you are encoding on the fly you can get some very respectable file sizes. It doesn't that much in the RAM either.clyde46
raw same resolution video recording is very taxing and unless they are allocating more memory and keep the data on the memory without using the hdd then writing onto the hdd afterward your going to run into performance issues.

I know what RAW video requires as I do record FRAPS a lot. What I'm saying is you can have a separate chip that handles on the recording while you play leaving the CPU or the PS4's case APU to get on with handling the game. Thats how that LIVE Gamer HD card works, on board is a little chip that takes up the encoding. The minimum specs for this thing to run is simple dual core and 512mb of RAM.

Here's the problem , Your looking at an low powered ARM core that has to record encode and store this data without affecting the game or system performance I doubt its just the ARM doing all the work. Unless they are going to record and encode low resolution videos or its going to affect performance. Now the main problem is the harddrive and storage because writing the data will affect the system while gaming

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

AMD GCN includes hardware encoder like Intel's QuickSync.

sadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 sadass
Member since 2003 • 270 Posts

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

TFLOPS aren't everything. As far as I know, 580 GTX is matched with a 7870, if not slightly more powerful (unless recent AMD drivers gave 7870 an edge).

BlbecekBobecek

Yeah but its the best data we have for comparison. It is to be expected that the PS4 GPU will be further optimised to provide even better results than standard PC architecture.

LOL wut

no

PC > PS4, simple.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] I see where he got his info but the fact they state standby tasks and a low power ARM core does not translate into flawless real time recording , since recording is very demanding with processing ,on hdd and memory usage. You can not have a perfect system without no hiccups

You can not get away from the resources needed to record live video while gaming. Unless they dedicate more memory and keep on memory without using the hdd then writing onto the hdd afterward your going to run into performance issues.

Actually no, an embedded system could handle a task like this a lot better, a PC has to be a lot more robust to allow for other people's processes/programs/i/o usage
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="Tessellation"]

And your getting this info from where? because it looks like wishful dreaming04dcarraher

Full H.264/VC1 hardware video encoder can deal with video encoding.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="Tessellation"]

durango has something similar for the video right?
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] These consoles are more like embedded systems and a low powered arm core could easily do that, PC's have other issues where the I/O might be tied up so they use a much larger buffer to store excess pictures. You really have a lot more control over the hardware in a console and that's where the efficiency comes from

Actually no, an embedded system could handle a task like this a lot better, a PC has to be a lot more robust to allow for other people's processes/programs/i/o usage

The problem is that it has to record encode and store this data without affecting the game or system performance,Unless they are going to record and encode low resolution videos or its going to affect performance. Now the main problem is the harddrive and storage because writing the data will affect the system while gaming. Live streaming and recording of gameplay, system tasks such as notifications and background downloading will chew up a good deal, so I doubt it will be flawless. And the notion that its suppose to be using a single low power ARM core is funny, I think part of the feature will be gp gpu based but still I wonder if they are going to compromise quality/resolution to allow it to work without affecting the person game.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="Tessellation"]

The problem is that it has to record encode and store this data without affecting the game or system performance, that's the bump they have to get over. affecting resources from memory and hdd.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] You can not get away from the resources needed to record live video while gaming. Unless they dedicate more memory and keep on memory without using the hdd then writing onto the hdd afterward your going to run into performance issues.

The problem is that it has to record encode and store this data without affecting the game or system performance,Unless they are going to record and encode low resolution videos or its going to affect performance. Now the main problem is the harddrive and storage because writing the data will affect the system while gaming. Live streaming and recording of gameplay, system tasks such as notifications and background downloading will chew up a good deal, so I doubt it will be flawless. And the notion that its suppose to be using a single low power ARM core is funny, I think part of the feature will be gp gpu based but still I wonder if they are going to compromise quality/resolution to allow it to work without affecting the person game.

it will effect the system while your gameing yes, but probably not that much. Your silly to think that increasing the buffer space will actually improve performance... it won't. Eventually you'll reach a point where you have to dump the pictures to the hard disk as fast as you receive them. So its better to do it as soon as you get the picture and only buffering when the game requests IO from the disk. Consoles aren't like desktops, they are much simpler and have tighter control over the IO bus, and probably have more tricks like a way to DMA the frame buffer directly to a encode chip, and the system likely wouldn't even know its recording apart from the higher disk usage. Also you're mixing up two different things, they specifically said they have a hardware encoder for the video stream. This is an entirely different beast from the ARM chip that allegedly is running the OS but I have yet to see anything that actually confirms that.
Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

PS4's GPU sounds fine to me. No, it isn't as good as top of the line desktop GPUs but considering the outrageous cost of those that was never really possible. It is comparable to highend laptop GPUs though and that's what it's based on after all. To me the real question is is 1.2 tflops enough for Durango? My answer is no. That spec disappoints me.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] I see where he got his info but the fact they state standby tasks and a low power ARM core does not translate into flawless real time recording , since recording is very demanding with processing ,on hdd and memory usage. You can not have a perfect system without no hiccupsTessellation

While AMD GCN includes it's own hardware video encoder, you have several low power ARM based solutions in the market place.

For example, Video Codecs on ARM ISA (Cortex A5/A7/A9/A15/A8) by Ittiam Systems. http://www.arm.com/community/partners/display_product/rw/ProductId/3951/

Decoders H.264/AVC Baseline Profile
H.264/AVC Main Profile
H.264/AVC High Profile
MPEG4 Simple Profile
MPEG4 Advanced Simple Profile (ASP) DivX, Xvid
MPEG2 Main Profile
VC-1/WMV9 Simple Profile
VC-1/WMV9 Main Profile
H.263
Sorenson Spark v0 & v1
Encoders H.264/AVC Baseline Profile
MPEG4 Simple Profile

ARM can support X86's little endian modes i.e. no problems with exchanging data with host X86 CPU.

Due to ARM's Trusted Zone/DRM IP, AMD Jaguar based APU could include a quad-core ARM Cortex A5.

AMD HSA streamlines the driver stack and ARM supports AMD's HSA.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] I see where he got his info but the fact they state standby tasks and a low power ARM core does not translate into flawless real time recording , since recording is very demanding with processing ,on hdd and memory usage. You can not have a perfect system without no hiccups04dcarraher

The problem is that it has to record encode and store this data without affecting the game or system performance, that's the bump they have to get over. affecting resources from memory and hdd.

It depends on the OS. In theory, DMA +cache coherence hardware was suppose to enable low overhead HDD/memory access. There are issue with Windows (e.g. problems DPC issues) that are not applicable for real time OS. This is why AMD (and HSA partners) dumping the existing driver stack and replacing it with HSA driver stack.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] Actually no, an embedded system could handle a task like this a lot better, a PC has to be a lot more robust to allow for other people's processes/programs/i/o usage

it will effect the system while your gameing yes, but probably not that much. Your silly to think that increasing the buffer space will actually improve performance... it won't. Eventually you'll reach a point where you have to dump the pictures to the hard disk as fast as you receive them. So its better to do it as soon as you get the picture and only buffering when the game requests IO from the disk. Consoles aren't like desktops, they are much simpler and have tighter control over the IO bus, and probably have more tricks like a way to DMA the frame buffer directly to a encode chip, and the system likely wouldn't even know its recording apart from the higher disk usage. Also you're mixing up two different things, they specifically said they have a hardware encoder for the video stream. This is an entirely different beast from the ARM chip that allegedly is running the OS but I have yet to see anything that actually confirms that.

Ya so basically , if you record you will notice hiccups and possible stutter while recording because of the hdd writing the data, I think there will be compromises made to lessen the load lower resolution/quality, fact is that resources will be used to use this feature the notion the PS4 wont be affected by some is abit off.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] The problem is that it has to record encode and store this data without affecting the game or system performance,Unless they are going to record and encode low resolution videos or its going to affect performance. Now the main problem is the harddrive and storage because writing the data will affect the system while gaming. Live streaming and recording of gameplay, system tasks such as notifications and background downloading will chew up a good deal, so I doubt it will be flawless. And the notion that its suppose to be using a single low power ARM core is funny, I think part of the feature will be gp gpu based but still I wonder if they are going to compromise quality/resolution to allow it to work without affecting the person game.

Ya so basically , if you record you will notice hiccups and possible stutter while recording because of the hdd writing the data, I think there will be compromises made to lessen the load lower resolution/quality, fact is that resources will be used to use this feature the notion the PS4 wont be affected by some is abit off.

you won't be getting around stutter if its from disk access, more than likely they already set up the hardware to balance the load. And no one ever said it won't be affected, our argument is over how much resources a system like this would take. Unless the game streaming alot of data from a disk, games won't stutter a hole lot, but you'll have this problem with PC's as well when your pushing stuff down to a disk while a game is trying to load data from the same disk. There is a timing issue and this is where buffering the video will come in handy, delay pushing the video down to allow the game to smoothly pull from the disk and continue playing. But there's no reason for the a system like this to continuously cache large portions of the video stream before pushing it to a disk.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] it will effect the system while your gameing yes, but probably not that much. Your silly to think that increasing the buffer space will actually improve performance... it won't. Eventually you'll reach a point where you have to dump the pictures to the hard disk as fast as you receive them. So its better to do it as soon as you get the picture and only buffering when the game requests IO from the disk. Consoles aren't like desktops, they are much simpler and have tighter control over the IO bus, and probably have more tricks like a way to DMA the frame buffer directly to a encode chip, and the system likely wouldn't even know its recording apart from the higher disk usage. Also you're mixing up two different things, they specifically said they have a hardware encoder for the video stream. This is an entirely different beast from the ARM chip that allegedly is running the OS but I have yet to see anything that actually confirms that.savagetwinkie

you won't be getting around stutter if its from disk access, more than likely they already set up the hardware to balance the load. And no one ever said it won't be affected, our argument is over how much resources a system like this would take. Unless the game streaming alot of data from a disk, games won't stutter a hole lot, but you'll have this problem with PC's as well when your pushing stuff down to a disk while a game is trying to load data from the same disk. There is a timing issue and this is where buffering the video will come in handy, delay pushing the video down to allow the game to smoothly pull from the disk and continue playing. But there's no reason for the a system like this to continuously cache large portions of the video stream before pushing it to a disk.

Installed texture/data data and getting digital copies installed on hdd will most likely be the main problem to overcome, I wonder how they will bypass the hdd thrashing

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] Ya so basically , if you record you will notice hiccups and possible stutter while recording because of the hdd writing the data, I think there will be compromises made to lessen the load lower resolution/quality, fact is that resources will be used to use this feature the notion the PS4 wont be affected by some is abit off.

Installed texture/data data and getting digital copies installed on hdd will most likely be the main problem to overcome, I wonder how they will bypass it.

they might not need to install texture data, not to mention if the HDD is busy they can just load it from the DVD. It's supposed to be a 6x now right? It'll probably load slower just because of the clock speed so it probably doesn't matter where it read data from ...
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] you won't be getting around stutter if its from disk access, more than likely they already set up the hardware to balance the load. And no one ever said it won't be affected, our argument is over how much resources a system like this would take. Unless the game streaming alot of data from a disk, games won't stutter a hole lot, but you'll have this problem with PC's as well when your pushing stuff down to a disk while a game is trying to load data from the same disk. There is a timing issue and this is where buffering the video will come in handy, delay pushing the video down to allow the game to smoothly pull from the disk and continue playing. But there's no reason for the a system like this to continuously cache large portions of the video stream before pushing it to a disk.

Installed texture/data data and getting digital copies installed on hdd will most likely be the main problem to overcome, I wonder how they will bypass it.

they might not need to install texture data, not to mention if the HDD is busy they can just load it from the DVD. It's supposed to be a 6x now right? It'll probably load slower just because of the clock speed so it probably doesn't matter where it read data from ...

just dont get digital copies of the games then :P
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

But the PS4 doesn't have the API overhead like PC does and the overhead is experienced on the CPU side.

BlbecekBobecek

How is Direct3D API experienced on  CPU side? Do you have any source to prove that?

If you have a high end 2010 PC with a higher clocked i5 CPU and an well oced GTX 480 (3gb version would be better) then you are set to play next gen console multiplats.

RyviusARC

I seriously doubt that. High end 2006 PC is not set to play this (last) gen console multiplats afterall...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Still mad that the 8800GTX (that is older than the ps3) play multiplats with much better graphics and performance than ps3?

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#279 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Gotta love dem herms making idiotic assumptions in a desperate attempt to make PS4 look bad. :roll:

"It will most likely be 4-5GB for system RAM and 2-3GB for video RAM while 1GB is dedicated to the OS and other features." :lol:

"I doubt its just the ARM doing all the work." :lol:

"We will see." (implied: "The reality might look good but we have just presented several stupid ungrounded assumptions that might make it look a bit worse.") :lol:

--------------

Dont worry, little herms. During the first year or so PS4 games might have graphical edge over their PC counterparts, but high end PCs will match and overcome it quickly so you will once again be able to brag about getting ports with a slightly sharper textures.

I remember days when PC gaming was the real thing while consoles had mostly streamlined simplistic games that couldnt touch real PC masterpieces like UFO Enemy Unknown, Gothic, Wizardry VII, System Shock, Planescape Torment or Fallout. Those days are long gone though and you herms bragging about your console ports having higher resolution are just sad.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="tormentos"] Again there is a damn 8 core CPU than can do physics... But even so 2 CU alone for physic or animation to help the CPU on the compute site will jolt that performance to more than 300Gflops for compute,just 2 CU and you still have 16 like the 7850 and higher efficiency,lower latency and lower overhead...savagetwinkie
A low clocked 8 core cpu, say if the cpu is at 1.6 ghz , any other amd cpu even a quad core as long as it is in the 3 ghz range it will match. This is what you dont understand gpgpu based physics can not be done on a low clocked cpu even if its a 8 core. that is what your not getting. the advanced physics you seen in PS4 video and demos for the physics is all gpu based and 2 CU is not enough. each single CU only does 103 GFLOPS and 206 gflops is not enough for fluid detailed real time physics. Now if they use 2CU for physics lets say the 16 CU will only be 1.65 TFLOP which is slower then a 7850. Also you can not ignore the fact that the PS4 is using pc based parts and coding which means any efficiency in coding for the hardware will translate into Pc too. Which is why with 360 games like Crysis 2 same era gpu's with similar performance is virtually the same for the gpu.

efficiency won't translate into the PC, the efficiency is from having a low cost API that isn't available on PC's and being able to fine tune everything to that specific hardware.

Compare AMD's "HSA Bolt" to CPU.

Lines-of-Code-and-Performance_zpsa23acdf

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Gotta love dem herms making idiotic assumptions in a desperate attempt to make PS4 look bad. :roll:

"It will most likely be 4-5GB for system RAM and 2-3GB for video RAM while 1GB is dedicated to the OS and other features." :lol:

"We will see." (implied: "The reality might look good but we have just presented several stupid ungrounded assumptions that might make it look a bit worse.") :lol:

--------------

Dont worry, little herms. During the first year or so PS4 games might have graphical edge over their PC counterparts, but high end PCs will match and overcome it quickly so you will once again be able to brag about getting ports with a slightly sharper textures.

I remember days when PC gaming was the real thing while consoles had mostly streamlined simplistic games that couldnt touch real PC masterpieces like UFO Enemy Unknown, Gothic, Wizardry VII, System Shock, Planescape Torment or Fallout. Those days are long gone though and you herms bragging about your console ports having higher resolution are just sad.

BlbecekBobecek

Still mad that ps4 will be comparable with a low end gameing pc?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

PS4's Memory Bandwith = 176GB/s
GTX 670 = 192 GB/s
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-the-geforce-gtx-670-gpu

Inconsistancy

Congrats, the 670 is a 7950 equiv (240gb/s). 7860 would be closer to a 660~ (which has 140gb/s).

Note that AMD FirePro W8000's (256bit wide bus with Tahiti GCN) ~= AMD Radeon HD 7950 i.e. AMD could have released a Geforce GTX 680 type product with Tahiti XT/XT2 GCN and cut the power consumption.

384 bit wide bus can effectively support the larger 64bit DP compute elements.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

--------------

BlbecekBobecek
Let me know when consoles get MOBAs and MMORPGs and then tell me the gap is closed. Meanwhile COW, enjoy your comic book hero 10 hour sandbox and your 5 hour mediocre movie shooter. I and the 300k at peak and still GROWING in a BETA game will continue to play good TRUE gameplay games. Consoles can't handle DoTA 2. BUT LOL KILLZONE AND INFAMOUS oh you must be so proud. Free game offers alot more than 2 expensive console pushing failures.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
Here's the problem , Your looking at an low powered ARM core that has to record encode and store this data without affecting the game or system performance I doubt its just the ARM doing all the work. Unless they are going to record and encode low resolution videos or its going to affect performance. Now the main problem is the harddrive and storage because writing the data will affect the system while gaming04dcarraher
The ARM chip is not the one handling the video recording..:lol: The ARM one is for background task,and sony also has a hardware encoder which is the one that deals with the videos,is the reason why is transparent dude,so you still haven't read.:lol: They did a damn demo of Killzone and recorded the video on the fly and there wasn't a performance hit my god you are so full of sh** is not even funny,do us all a favor and watch the damn conference and then come back an talk.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 ronvalencia

Its an AMD chip so to get a rough estimate of how it compares to an Nvidia chip take 1.8/2 so no its not even close to a gtx 580 or anything else u listed.

painguy1

GTX580 wasn't able to beat 7850 on Dirt Showdown.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Here's the problem , Your looking at an low powered ARM core that has to record encode and store this data without affecting the game or system performance I doubt its just the ARM doing all the work. Unless they are going to record and encode low resolution videos or its going to affect performance. Now the main problem is the harddrive and storage because writing the data will affect the system while gamingtormentos
The ARM chip is not the one handling the video recording..:lol: The ARM one is for background task,and sony also has a hardware encoder which is the one that deals with the videos,is the reason why is transparent dude,so you still haven't read.:lol: They did a damn demo of Killzone and recorded the video on the fly and there wasn't a performance hit my god you are so full of sh** is not even funny,do us all a favor and watch the damn conference and then come back an talk.

Are you stupid? when we refer to the limitations we are talking long term, not damn fluffed up conference tech demo's tested to perform well. And please stfu, if its hardware related recording, combined with the damn camera and new controller expect a pretty damn expensive console.... stop lying through your ass. There is only one reason epic suggest 8GB and thats because of those limitations. You dont need 4GB for a damn modern game, my god I can mod the hell out of skyrim with super high res textures and fill the screen with people and it still goes nowhere near close to 4GB. Crysis 3 doesn't either on max settings and to get that effect through cry engine editor is still nearly impossible, the CPU and GPU will ALWAYS bottleneck first. 8GB RAM will give some system functionality flexibility, but as far as games go it will do nothing long term.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

--------------

Let me know when consoles get MOBAs and MMORPGs and then tell me the gap is closed. Meanwhile COW, enjoy your comic book hero 10 hour sandbox and your 5 hour mediocre movie shooter. I and the 300k at peak and still GROWING in a BETA game will continue to play good TRUE gameplay games. Consoles can't handle DoTA 2. BUT LOL KILLZONE AND INFAMOUS oh you must be so proud. Free game offers alot more than 2 expensive console pushing failures.

DoTA 2 runs on AMD A4 APUs.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="tormentos"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Here's the problem , Your looking at an low powered ARM core that has to record encode and store this data without affecting the game or system performance I doubt its just the ARM doing all the work. Unless they are going to record and encode low resolution videos or its going to affect performance. Now the main problem is the harddrive and storage because writing the data will affect the system while gamingMBirdy88

Are you stupid? when we refer to the limitations we are talking long term, not damn fluffed up conference tech demo's tested to perform well. And please stfu, if its hardware related recording, combined with the damn camera and new controller expect a pretty damn expensive console.... stop lying through your ass. There is only one reason epic suggest 8GB and thats because of those limitations. You dont need 4GB for a damn modern game, my god I can mod the hell out of skyrim with super high res textures and fill the screen with people and it still goes nowhere near close to 4GB. Crysis 3 doesn't either on max settings and to get that effect through cry engine editor is still nearly impossible, the CPU and GPU will ALWAYS bottleneck first. 8GB RAM will give some system functionality flexibility, but as far as games go it will do nothing long term.

You would need ~8GB of RAM for AMD's Cinema 2.0 demos.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 BlbecekBobecek

Let me know when consoles get MOBAs and MMORPGs and then tell me the gap is closed. Meanwhile COW, enjoy your comic book hero 10 hour sandbox and your 5 hour mediocre movie shooter. I and the 300k at peak and still GROWING in a BETA game will continue to play good TRUE gameplay games. Consoles can't handle DoTA 2. BUT LOL KILLZONE AND INFAMOUS oh you must be so proud. Free game offers alot more than 2 expensive console pushing failures.MBirdy88

Nice try, but Im a DotA player since about 2004 and I even played it competetively with my team in local tournaments during 2005-2007. Been there before Beastmaster actually. But that certainly doesnt prevent me to enjoy excellent games like MGS4, Uncharted2, Demons Souls or Valkyria Chronicles because lets face it - the amount of money put into such games is way over PC games budgets and the singleplayer experience of such games is unmatched on PC.

Thats why herms raving about the fact that their ports of console games run in higher resolution seem pretty ridiculous to me.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 BlbecekBobecek

DoTA 2 runs on AMD A4 APUs.ronvalencia

Thats right. I run DotA 2 maxed out in 1080p on my laptop (core i7, GeForce 555m GT with 2GBs of VRAM, 6GBs of system RAM), and the new PS4 shall be WAY more powerful than that.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Here's the problem , Your looking at an low powered ARM core that has to record encode and store this data without affecting the game or system performance I doubt its just the ARM doing all the work. Unless they are going to record and encode low resolution videos or its going to affect performance. Now the main problem is the harddrive and storage because writing the data will affect the system while gamingtormentos

Encoding part can be handled H264 hardware, but the non-encoding sections can be handled by the quad-core ARM Cortex A5 (e.g. similar to Intel Pro network processor off-load + firewall/router/mini-P2P client/mini-FTP/mini-linux smart network box).

AMD Jaguar based APUs comes with an unknown ARM Cortex A5.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 tormentos

O yes taking Sony's word thats a new one... their consoles never do what they promise. I highly doubt that killzone video was done on PS4.... it was done on a dev kit.

a low power ARM core does not translate into flawless real time recording , since recording is very demanding with processing ,on hdd and memory usage. You can not have a perfect system without no hiccups

04dcarraher

nqzjue.jpg

So it comes down to this you are a buthurt hermit and since you were owned changed your argument to sony never delivers...

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] You can not get away from the resources needed to record live video while gaming. Unless they dedicate more memory and keep on memory without using the hdd then writing onto the hdd afterward your going to run into performance issues.04dcarraher

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-Licenses-ARM-Technology-AMD-Leans-ARM-Security

amd_hsa_architecture.jpg&width=550&heigh

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 tormentos

Are you stupid? when we refer to the limitations we are talking long term, not damn fluffed up conference tech demo's tested to perform well. And please stfu, if its hardware related recording, combined with the damn camera and new controller expect a pretty damn expensive console.... stop lying through your ass. There is only one reason epic suggest 8GB and thats because of those limitations. You dont need 4GB for a damn modern game, my god I can mod the hell out of skyrim with super high res textures and fill the screen with people and it still goes nowhere near close to 4GB. Crysis 3 doesn't either on max settings and to get that effect through cry engine editor is still nearly impossible, the CPU and GPU will ALWAYS bottleneck first. 8GB RAM will give some system functionality flexibility, but as far as games go it will do nothing long term.MBirdy88

No you are the stupid and on a serial denial,so sony fake the Killlzone 4 demostration.?Wait why now show a super CG like they did on 2005.?

You are a moron has sony say the camera will be always on like Kinect.? Have they say it has a huge hit perfomance,did they even demo something with the camera that pointed that.? So you chose to believe something that wasn't show and that exist only on your small and buthurt mind,and ignore and debunk something that was demo in real damn time..

Epic did not suggest sony 8GB you moron,in fact Epic did not even knew sony had 8GB on their hardware,the unreal engine demo was done on old dev kits(8GB ones hasn't hit) and Mark Rein was quite surprise when he found out about the whole 8GB of GDDR5 and cheered the move,another one who seems really happy about the choices sony took is long time PS3 hater John Carmak..

So maybe they know something you don't.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"] I see where he got his info but the fact they state standby tasks and a low power ARM core does not translate into flawless real time recording , since recording is very demanding with processing ,on hdd and memory usage. You can not have a perfect system without no hiccupsTessellation

It depends if AMD's built-in ARM Cortex A5 can manage GCN's video encoder or Microsoft licenses another H264 hardware encoder with an ARM CPU.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 tormentos

Here is what i get from Hermits..

They can't admit that sony did some very good choices when it comes to the PS4,putting extra hardware so that the CPU and GPU would take as little hit in performance as possible,that is call thinking outside the box,and i can't believe how mad hermits are about it,to the point where the argument is not about the PS4 can accomplish by been way more efficient in many parts than PC,the argument has been shift to sony fake and sony doesn't deliver on their consoles..

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Are you stupid? when we refer to the limitations we are talking long term, not damn fluffed up conference tech demo's tested to perform well. And please stfu, if its hardware related recording, combined with the damn camera and new controller expect a pretty damn expensive console.... stop lying through your ass. There is only one reason epic suggest 8GB and thats because of those limitations. You dont need 4GB for a damn modern game, my god I can mod the hell out of skyrim with super high res textures and fill the screen with people and it still goes nowhere near close to 4GB. Crysis 3 doesn't either on max settings and to get that effect through cry engine editor is still nearly impossible, the CPU and GPU will ALWAYS bottleneck first. 8GB RAM will give some system functionality flexibility, but as far as games go it will do nothing long term.tormentos

No you are the stupid and on a serial denial,so sony fake the Killlzone 4 demostration.?Wait why now show a super CG like they did on 2005.?

You are a moron has sony say the camera will be always on like Kinect.? Have they say it has a huge hit perfomance,did they even demo something with the camera that pointed that.? So you chose to believe something that wasn't show and that exist only on your small and buthurt mind,and ignore and debunk something that was demo in real damn time..

Epic did not suggest sony 8GB you moron,in fact Epic did not even knew sony had 8GB on their hardware,the unreal engine demo was done on old dev kits(8GB ones hasn't hit) and Mark Rein was quite surprise when he found out about the whole 8GB of GDDR5 and cheered the move,another one who seems really happy about the choices sony took is long time PS3 hater John Carmak..

So maybe they know something you don't.

It seems Crytek asked for 8GB and they got it. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/383271/crytek-ceo-drops-possible-hint-at-8gb-of-ram-in-next-gen-consoles/

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 tormentos

It depends if AMD's built-in ARM Cortex A5 can manage GCN's video encoder or Microsoft licenses another H264 hardware encoder with an ARM CPU.ronvalencia

I think they do as well which is a very good choice for seving resources.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 tormentos

It seems Crytek asked for 8GB and they got it. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/383271/crytek-ceo-drops-possible-hint-at-8gb-of-ram-in-next-gen-consoles/

ronvalencia

""Memory is the single most important thing that is always going to be underbalanced - I've never seen a console where the memory was the right balance. "Xbox 360, underbalanced. PlayStation 3, underbalanced. Simply because memory is the most expensive part, hence I wish there would be cheaper ways of doing memory so that memory doesn't become an issue anymore." He added: "If they find ways to cheapen the cost to a degree they could triple or quadruple their memory. Just say, 'Hey we're going to have 32 gigs of memory'. That would be quite amazing because memory can do so many more techniques and tricks.""" Yeah Crytek actually asked more,8GB is the minimal he wanted to see on the console. This is for all the people talking sh** about 8GB been over kill,here your beloved Crytek saying how important memory is and how consoles are bottleneck by that.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 ronvalencia

Here is what i get from Hermits..

They can't admit that sony did some very good choices when it comes to the PS4,putting extra hardware so that the CPU and GPU would take as little hit in performance as possible,that is call thinking outside the box,and i can't believe how mad hermits are about it,to the point where the argument is not about the PS4 can accomplish by been way more efficient in many parts than PC,the argument has been shift to sony fake and sony doesn't deliver on their consoles..

tormentos

Not from the red Hermits i.e. PS4's improvements may get recycled for future AMD PC APUs e.g. after Kaveri's 8 CUs, what's next? Let's recycle the work we done for Sony or MS and modify it for late 2014 PC APU. Thanks for Sony or MS for paying for the R&D.

Since some ultrabooks has surface mounted DDR3, GDDR5 for main memory might boost AMD based APU gaming ultrabooks/laptops.