PS5 in 2024: No First Party developed AAA exclusives?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13048 Posts

Looks like Sony is going to be relying heavily on third party games, at least for the early part of 2024. The only game that has a date in 2024 is Helldivers 2, which is being developed by a third party studio for Sony.

Even in Sony's recent financials, they spell this out:

"impact of changes in the launch dates of a portion of first-party titles"

They will be relying on 3rd party to hit their sales targets. With the latest layoffs, the cancellation and/or delay of 6 out of 12 games, Wolverine most likely to hit 2025, it seems that 2024 will be just as light as 2023 was for our PS5. TLOU 2 Factions 2, which has been delayed for years appears to have been canceled. DLC is getting delayed.

Source:

Financials PDF from Sony

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/23q2_sonyspeech.pdf

What say you fellow SW friends? Does this concern you? If this is the direction we saw in 2023, and now 2024, was Shawn Layden actually spot on when he said they need to develop less games due to how costly they have become? Sony has seen their slimmest profit margin, so I wonder if maybe bringing back Shawn to replace Jim Ryan would be a good idea?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45309 Posts

And yet PS5 is still beating Xbox 🤔

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69980 Posts

"Bu buh but Xbox" strikes again. 😂

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

True

We thank SONY for the avalanche of world class games to play on current gen leading platform, the illustrious PS5...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pedro  Online

@kvallyx: This is why the PS5 is my preferred system for next year. I want to cut back on my gaming. They also helped a lot this year.😎

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1327 Posts

chin up cows,Xbox studios have you covered for another year👍

COD,Warzone and Minecraft will keeping Gamers entertained.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Saint-George

Last placestation

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Saint-George

Xbox 2024...Nom,Nom,Nom

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44180 Posts

Poo bovine brigade. BS Jive has no games. lol :P

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KvallyX

@SolidGame_basic said:

So you are not concerned about the lack our Sony first party developed games? That makes me sad as a fellow gamer.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22810 Posts

I love Helldivers, but that's it? Jeeze.... Still waiting for a good reason to buy the consoles. Gamepass intrigues me, but I don't know that I game enough to justify it. Sony is super meh this generation... Gonna wait for gow2 and Spiderman 2 to hit pc down the line. All in all, Sony gets good sales for its console but not really sure they have the differentiated library to back it up.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KvallyX

@TheEroica said:

I love Helldivers, but that's it? Jeeze....

Did you see how much they changed up Helldivers 2 compared to 1? It's a pretty big change.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39335 Posts

And Xbox will rely on brand-new-old-lies "2024 will be the best year of Xbox history"🤷‍♂️

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

Yeah I’m really starting to wonder what will be coming out from Sony next year. I’m sure we’ll get Spider-Man 2 dlc which I’m really looking forward to. Am really looking forward to Wolverine but not sure if that will make it for next year. Surely we will finally see what Blue Point has been working on right? Guess there will be The Last of Us 2 remaster/remake. Whoopie.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

What does Xbox have in store for the video game industry? We know Nintendo will be in the Mario Pokemon Zelda routine. Sony might have something to surprise us.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NNoyingHusband  Online
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

Cows - Bu…bu…Helldivers! (Spoiler, it’s gonna be a 7.5 on MC and after two weeks the player base will collapse).

More money for PS+. More money for a PS5. VR2 flopped. Portal will flop. But here you go, Spiderman 2 should tide you over until some point in 2025 right?

I literally have no reason to turn my PS5 on until 2025 or so.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KvallyX

@eni232 said:

What does Xbox have in store for the video game industry? We know Nintendo will be in the Mario Pokemon Zelda routine. Sony might have something to surprise us.

Not sure what Xbox and Nintendo has to do with this thread :(

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NNoyingHusband  Online

@eni232: Cows have said this all year long.

State of Play - “You’ll see! Sony has an ace up their sleeve! They’ve been holding back!”

Showcase - “You’ll see! Sony has an ace up their sleeve! They’ve been holding back!”

State of Play - “You’ll see! Sony has an ace up their sleeve! They’ve been holding back!”

All 3 events, cows all over social media exclaimed how Sony was gonna stealth drop something or had some game they’ve had hidden and it just never came. It’s time to come to terms with the fact that 2023 was a slow year for Sony and 2024 will be worse, especially since it was announced they cut their 12 live service games they were developing down to 6.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pedro  Online

@nnoyinghusband said:

Showcase - “You’ll see! Sony has an ace up their sleeve! They’ve been holding back!”

All 3 events, cows all over social media exclaimed how Sony was gonna stealth drop something or had some game they’ve had hidden and it just never came. It’s time to come to terms with the fact that 2023 was a slow year for Sony and 2024 will be worse, especially since it was announced they cut their 12 live service games they were developing down to 6.

They stealth dropped having nothing.😎

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NNoyingHusband  Online

@saint-george: 2024, the year Xbox drops a ton of ABK games on GP, especially every COD, and all hell will break loose. Sony in a continued drought (except for Spiderman 2) and MS floods Xbox with a ton of games.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KvallyX

@Pedro said:
@nnoyinghusband said:

They stealth dropped having nothing.😎

Funniest thing you have said all day! LOVE IT! LOL

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1017 Posts

Who cares, even if they did it have an AAA exclusive in 2024 it would come to PC in 1-3 years and be much better on PC like nearly all of PS5's library.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#23 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5177 Posts

@kvallyx: Because everyone craps on Sony's first party line up, but Nintendo and MS both also have gaming droughts and bad track records at releasing exclusives in a timely manner.

Halo flopped, red fall flopped, Starfield is meh, and Forza is on the like the 20th game. What else has there been this gen for Xbox game studios? Hi-fi rush?

Then for Sony there's Returnal, Rachet and Clank, 2 GOW games, 2 Spiderman games, GT7, TLOU2, Demon's Souls, Horizon Forbidden West, Destruction All Stars, MLB the Show, Sackboy.

Then upcoming for next year are 3rd party exclusives, Helldivers 2, FF7 Rebirth, and Rise of Ronin. And im sure there are games coming that haven't been revealed yet.

So what's the number on releases? I want a concrete number of first party releases that these companies should be releasing every year. How many games do you want? 1 every month? 2 every 3 months? What's the number? Because everyone always gives MS, Nintendo, and Sony crap for not releasing enough games but no one EVER says what the rate should be.

And jesus there's plenty of third party games to play as well. Unless your jobless living alone in a basement, there's not enough time to play all this crap.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

@robertos: not sure Sony is even going to waste time doing that anymore, nobody buys them when they do put them on PC, not enough to make it worth it anyways.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NNoyingHusband  Online

@Star67: MLB The Show is on Switch and Xbox now, day one on Game Pass to boot.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Star67

@nnoyinghusband: What's the number of releases you want? I'll wait.

Once you tell me we can hold all 3 accountable.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NNoyingHusband  Online

@lamprey263: and it’s a false statement to say they’re better on PC. They release bad PC versions that have to get patched a bunch. Also, PC has to wait quite a bit. So by the time it hits PC in a bad buggy state, the PS version has already been patched significantly. I’d never buy a PS exclusive on PC.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KvallyX

@Star67 said:

@kvallyx: Because everyone craps on Sony's first party line up, but Nintendo and MS both also have gaming droughts and bad track records at releasing exclusives in a timely manner.

Halo flopped, red fall flopped, Starfield is meh, and Forza is on the like the 20th game. What else has there been this gen for Xbox game studios? Hi-fi rush?

Then for Sony there's Returnal, Rachet and Clank, 2 GOW games, 2 Spiderman games, GT7, TLOU2, Demon's Souls, Horizon Forbidden West, Destruction All Stars, MLB the Show, Sackboy.

Then upcoming for next year are 3rd party exclusives, Helldivers 2, FF7 Rebirth, and Rise of Ronin. And im sure there are games coming that haven't been revealed yet.

So what's the number on releases? I want a concrete number of first party releases that these companies should be releasing every year. How many games do you want? 1 every month? 2 every 3 months? What's the number? Because everyone always gives MS, Nintendo, and Sony crap for not releasing enough games but no one EVER says what the rate should be.

And jesus there's plenty of third party games to play as well. Unless your jobless living alone in a basement, there's not enough time to play all this crap.

• Halo didn't flop and still in top 10 most played
  • Starfield didn't flop

Forza having it's 8th game doesn't matter, what matters is if it scores well and plays well and gamers like it. Just like this is the 30th Spider-Man game. Doesn't matter it's been a million releases, so long as it is fun.

Your list of Sony games has nothing to do with 2023 and 2024.

Your list of timed 3rd party exclusives have nothing to do with this thread. Not to mention, many of those are also coming to Microsoft Windows PC.

But Xbox has nothing to do with the lack of first party exclusives from Sony, which is what this thread is about.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Star67

@kvallyx: What's your number on releases kvallyx? You're just going to completely ignore that part?

I assume you can't come up with one or don't know. Which is why this whole release argument is stupid and hypocritical. Some years Sony is going to have more games released, same with MS.

Then when Sony has an up year in releases you're just gonna switch gears and shit on their years of few releases. It's a damn cycle with you people.

But let's hear your number

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NNoyingHusband  Online

@Star67: up until this year Sony was fine in my book. Too many mistakes this year, their drought is just one of the problems. I’ve played most of the games you listed and TBH, I enjoyed Starfield and Redfall (post 60fps patch) more than some of the Sony exclusives. Did I like Redfall better than Ghost of Tsushima? Better than Days Gone? Hell no, but it was better than the Horizon games, better than Returnal for me. And I’ll take Forza every time over GT. Just some personal preference things. But on the topic of next year…I’m seeing a very growing concern on social media and YouTubers discussing the weak 2024 Sony has planned.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KvallyX

@Star67 said:

@kvallyx: What's your number on releases kvallyx? You're just going to completely ignore that part?

I assume you can't come up with one or don't know. Which is why this whole release argument is stupid and hypocritical. Some years Sony is going to have more games released, same with MS.

Then when Sony has an up year in releases you're just gonna switch gears and shit on their years of few releases. It's a damn cycle with you people.

But let's hear your number

I have no number Star67. This is System Wars. What we do know is that the numbers that Xbox had in 2022 (next to 0) was not sufficient for cows. But 2023 PS has next to 0, and is sufficient for cows.

My own personal number would be a AAA first party developed exclusive every three months for our PS5 and Xbox Series X. So 4 a year from each! And I have to like them.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Star67

@nnoyinghusband: No still can't come up with a number? Or at this point are you afraid to say a number?

I'm not worried about the Future of any console, they both have too many studios to not have games coming. Which Is why I think this argument is silly.

But it's very TELLING when you and Kvallyx can't come up with a release number per year....it's almost like releasing games is hard? Like running a business you know? Which im sure you know a lot about

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Star67

@kvallyx: So next to Zero isn't a number......Please actually count the releases please if you're going to use games released in a year as an argument.....

So your number is 4.....and it has to be AAA. Does that mean Publisher size or metacritic score?

I think 4 is a good number, but I don't see MS or Sony realistically meeting that goal every year....so we gonna shit on MS when they don't meet that too?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KvallyX

@Star67 said:

@nnoyinghusband: No still can't come up with a number? Or at this point are you afraid to say a number?

I'm not worried about the Future of any console, they both have too many studios to not have games coming. Which Is why I think this argument is silly.

But it's very TELLING when you and Kvallyx can't come up with a release number per year....it's almost like releasing games is hard? Like running a business you know? Which im sure you know a lot about

Why are you worried about numbers from ME? What about everyone else here that also doesn't give us a number? Isn't that telling to you?

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12334 Posts

FY2023 ends in March 2024.

They make no comment about first party games in FY2024.

If anything, it implies games from FY2023 were pushed into FY2024.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Star67

Holy crap you're SO close! You're so close to realizing how artificial and stupid these arguments are, so close to enlightenment! Can you get there? Do you realize that these release numbers are a hypocritical argument? That change every year and the fanboys will just flip flop arguing from bad release years to good ones to try and further prove a point?

Gosh im so excited for How close you are! but which way are you gonna turn? Towards the path of enlightenment or are you gonna double down and go back to being an annoying fanboy?

SO CLOSE!!!

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NNoyingHusband  Online

@Star67: number of what? Bad ideas Sony has per year? All I care about is do I feel as a consumer am I getting value and fun out of my platform of choice. Do I feel the company I’m choosing to spend the majority of my time with is making the correct decisions to keep me on their team.

Having droughts, raising prices, spending time and resources on failing hardware like VR2 and Portal, I feel like the train went off the track this year for Sony and not only do they not care, they’ll double down and call upset consumers bluff. It turned me off. So I turned my PS5 off.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KvallyX

@Star67 said:

Holy crap you're SO close! You're so close to realizing how artificial and stupid these arguments are, so close to enlightenment! Can you get there? Do you realize that these release numbers are a hypocritical argument? That change every year and the fanboys will just flip flop arguing from bad release years to good ones to try and further prove a point?

Gosh im so excited for How close you are! but which way are you gonna turn? Towards the path of enlightenment or are you gonna double down and go back to being an annoying fanboy?

SO CLOSE!!!

You can do it:

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 513 Posts

@lamprey263: Sony made 2.5 Billion off of 1st party PC sales, so if anything, I'd say they are going to ramp up PC releases.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/91326/first-party-playstation-pc-games-contributed-to-2-5-billion-earnings/index.html

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Star67

@nnoyinghusband: So you can't come up with a solid game release number from a publisher? Like 2 a year? 4? Does it even matter?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KvallyX

@Star67 said:

@nnoyinghusband: So you can't come up with a solid game release number from a publisher? Like 2 a year? 4? Does it even matter?

You are trying WAY too hard for System Wars. I know you have some smarts up in the noggin' of yours. Just enjoy the entertainment that is provided for you here on a daily basis. If you are looking for serious discussions, you might be better suited at Neogaf or Resetera, as they have zero fanboying there.....

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Star67

@kvallyx: Ever think that's why this forum is dying? Because listening to the same "Sony Jive ain't got no games soon!" get's a little old? And drives people away?

Can't we be better than acting like children?

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NNoyingHusband  Online

@Star67: no. I like system wars antics. Too many people these days play the “console wars are lame, grow up” card. Why? It’s no different than arguing over sports teams. It’s just mindless fun. There’s no real world impact to us. It’s escapism.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22390 Posts

Ouch.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

@kvallyx: I don't know maybe they create video games and by rule you can include them in the discussion and stay on topic.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12334 Posts

@nnoyinghusband said:

@Star67: number of what? Bad ideas Sony has per year? All I care about is do I feel as a consumer am I getting value and fun out of my platform of choice. Do I feel the company I’m choosing to spend the majority of my time with is making the correct decisions to keep me on their team.

Having droughts, raising prices, spending time and resources on failing hardware like VR2 and Portal, I feel like the train went off the track this year for Sony and not only do they not care, they’ll double down and call upset consumers bluff. It turned me off. So I turned my PS5 off.

I don't think your conclusion aligns with what's actually happening.

PlayStation 5 is going into the holidays with an exceptional content catalog and a user base of ~45m existing customers that can enhance their experience through new means like PSVR2, Portal, DualSense Edge, Access controller etc.

PlayStation didn't end up being successful by being a one trick pony; it's a lot of little things that end up moving the needle and they've got a lot of little things lined up for an absolutely massive holiday season.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KvallyX

@eni232 said:

@kvallyx: I don't know maybe they create video games and by rule you can include them in the discussion and stay on topic.

That's fine I suppose. But maybe address my question in the OP while you are at it?

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NNoyingHusband  Online

@Nonstop-Madness: VR2 and Portal are options. I don’t have to buy them, but they’re those “little things” that compile with the price increases and drought to turn me off. It’s not one thing here or there, it’s the combination of poor decisions that made me step away from Sony.

I’m a PS+ Premium subscriber, my sub ends next month, had a year plan. Before the price increase, about a month before, I came to terms with the reality that Premium wasn’t worth it for me, so I downgraded to Extra for when renewal hit in December. Then once the price increase was announced, I took a look around at Sony’s entire year. I didn’t feel the company was making the right decisions, didn’t feel Extra would be worth it, so I downgraded to Essential. Then after thinking about it further, adding up all the negatives, even if it didn’t directly impact me, and I didn’t like where I saw Sony heading. Even though the price of the Slim digital doesn’t impact me, even though the $30 Slim stand doesn’t impact me, etc, it was just poor decision after poor decision, so I canceled my PS+ altogether and haven’t turned my PS on for a couple months now.

I used to care that PS sold more consoles, but the more I thought about it, the less it made an impact.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 679 Posts

As a PS5 owner next year I have the following to play: FF7 Rebirth, Persona 3 Reload, Metapor Refantazia and FM25 on the new engine. That is before you take in my current backlog and whatever other games take my fancy.

To answer another question do I care about the lack of first-party games - no I don't, as I am a grown-up.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pedro  Online

Soon folks would argue that first-party games don't matter....Ooops! Too late.😂

It really doesn't but we are subbing to the Sony fannies rule book.🙃