PS5 in 2024: No First Party developed AAA exclusives?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#51 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13102 Posts

@jcafcwbb said:

To answer another question do I care about the lack of first-party games - no I don't, as I am a grown-up.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1407 Posts

@Star67 said:

@kvallyx: Because everyone craps on Sony's first party line up, but Nintendo and MS both also have gaming droughts and bad track records at releasing exclusives in a timely manner.

Halo flopped, red fall flopped, Starfield is meh, and Forza is on the like the 20th game. What else has there been this gen for Xbox game studios? Hi-fi rush?

Then for Sony there's Returnal, Rachet and Clank, 2 GOW games, 2 Spiderman games, GT7, TLOU2, Demon's Souls, Horizon Forbidden West, Destruction All Stars, MLB the Show, Sackboy.

Then upcoming for next year are 3rd party exclusives, Helldivers 2, FF7 Rebirth, and Rise of Ronin. And im sure there are games coming that haven't been revealed yet.

So what's the number on releases? I want a concrete number of first party releases that these companies should be releasing every year. How many games do you want? 1 every month? 2 every 3 months? What's the number? Because everyone always gives MS, Nintendo, and Sony crap for not releasing enough games but no one EVER says what the rate should be.

And jesus there's plenty of third party games to play as well. Unless your jobless living alone in a basement, there's not enough time to play all this crap.

First off if you want to be taken seriously then talking shit in your 2nd paragraph won't help your cause.

•"Halo flopped, red fall flopped, Starfield is meh, and Forza is on the like the 20th game.•

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

@kvallyx:

How? nobody knows what they will announce. If they won't have anything ready jan to march what's there to talk about. 3rd party company's need a console to make games on. Sony doesn't rely on 3rd party to sell their consoles that's what the business is. You say it like it's a negative thing but that's been like that since video games got created. Both rely on each other.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 KvallyX

@eni232 said:

@kvallyx:

How? nobody knows what they will announce. If they won't have anything ready jan to march what's there to talk about. 3rd party company's need a console to make games on. Sony doesn't rely on 3rd party to sell their consoles that's what the business is. You say it like it's a negative thing but that's been like that since video games got created. Both rely on each other.

Ok.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16597 Posts

@TheEroica said:

I love Helldivers, but that's it? Jeeze.... Still waiting for a good reason to buy the consoles. Gamepass intrigues me, but I don't know that I game enough to justify it. Sony is super meh this generation... Gonna wait for gow2 and Spiderman 2 to hit pc down the line. All in all, Sony gets good sales for its console but not really sure they have the differentiated library to back it up.

you should grab gamepass and install it on your steam deck. Thats what I did, and its a gamechanger.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Saint-George

SONY'S 2024 First party line up..

*crickets are heard and a tumbleweed slowly rolls by*

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 KvallyX

@saint-george said:

Looks like we know why the line up for our PS5 is so sparse. They are losing devs hand over fist :(

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

Cows got sales to feel good about, so, they have that going for them.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22962 Posts
@kvallyx said:
@TheEroica said:

I love Helldivers, but that's it? Jeeze....

Did you see how much they changed up Helldivers 2 compared to 1? It's a pretty big change.

I did see... I'm on the fence until I see it all in action when the game releases. I much prefer the iso-top down view myself so I wasn't keen on the change.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TheEroica  Moderator

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@TheEroica said:

I love Helldivers, but that's it? Jeeze.... Still waiting for a good reason to buy the consoles. Gamepass intrigues me, but I don't know that I game enough to justify it. Sony is super meh this generation... Gonna wait for gow2 and Spiderman 2 to hit pc down the line. All in all, Sony gets good sales for its console but not really sure they have the differentiated library to back it up.

you should grab gamepass and install it on your steam deck. Thats what I did, and its a gamechanger.

Gotta install windows though right?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 TheEroica  Moderator
@kvallyx said:
@saint-george said:

Looks like we know why the line up for our PS5 is so sparse. They are losing devs hand over fist :(

Wow.... I can't say it's a bad move. Naughty Dog doesn't seem to have anything to show. Ias a fan of some of their work I'd love a new ip, but if we can't even get a last of us mp game no one really wants out the door then a new ip seems waaaay off.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16597 Posts

@TheEroica: if you want to install the games on your deck, then yes you need to get windows.

But there's no need to go that far, that's a bit too much work and not really worth it when the streaming option works well enough as long as you have high speed internet at home. You can install the gamepass app on your steam library and run it from there. It's much easier process and generally works well.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9838 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

And yet PS5 is still beating Xbox 🤔

True

We thank SONY for the avalanche of world class games to play on current gen leading platform, the illustrious PS5...

The Avalanche….

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

@sealionact said:
@Heil68 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

True

We thank SONY for the avalanche of world class games to play on current gen leading platform, the illustrious PS5...

The Avalanche….

Last I checked , close to 5k games can be played on your current gen leader, PS5 *shrug*

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By sealionact

@Star67: Kinda ironic you belittling Forza Horizon for having “20 games”. The latest was called “Forza Horizon 5” which might give you a clue as to how many have been released.

Meanwhile, you also hyped Ratchet and Clank…which is now on game number 17.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

Just to illustrate the dry spell of having 12 GaaS under development.

They can't just say deliver some flop and move on, because any other worthwhile GaaS will be avoided out of fear of support being pulled. This means devs will likely be tied down post release regardless if it's a success or not.

The moment those studios eventually do pivot toward the signature 1st party single player experiences, they're starting from scratch, add a few years to it releasing.

In other words, traditional Sony won't be making a return until at least a couple years into their 10th gen consoles.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 sealionact

@Heil68: Shrug all you want. The subject here is 1st party games. There’s been one this year, and there’s one next year if Wolverine gets delayed as is being suggested.

More like a pebble falling off an anthill than an avalanche.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Heil68

@sealionact said:

@Heil68: Shrug all you want. The subject here is 1st party games. There’s been one this year, and there’s one next year if Wolverine gets delayed as is being suggested.

More like a pebble falling off an anthill than an avalanche.

And yet ahead of Xbox..lol

SONY wins,,,awwww yeahhh

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 sealionact

@Heil68: Sounds about right ….console sales ahead of actual games? That’s what puts a smile on your face?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Heil68

@sealionact said:

@Heil68: Sounds about right ….console sales ahead of actual games? That’s what puts a smile on your face?

Yes :D

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6700 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

FY2023 ends in March 2024.

They make no comment about first party games in FY2024.

If anything, it implies games from FY2023 were pushed into FY2024.

So, when Sony release no first party games next year and the console still sells well, what would you attribute that too?

Xbox & PS5 share 95% of the same third-party games, so it can't be that.

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

Is Wolverine in 2024 or still no official release date?

I’m curious how the gameplay will turn out. I’ve heard it could be similar to the GOW series.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7307 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

So you are not concerned about the lack our Sony first party developed games? That makes me sad as a fellow gamer.

nope sony always delivers. silent hill 2 remake, final fantasy rebirth remake so far in 2024. stellerblade as well.

sony will reveal something soon. been quiet sense activision buy out from xbox.

also ronin team ninja exclusive.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1215 Posts

@kvallyx said:

Looks like Sony is going to be relying heavily on third party games, at least for the early part of 2024. The only game that has a date in 2024 is Helldivers 2, which is being developed by a third party studio for Sony.

Even in Sony's recent financials, they spell this out:

"impact of changes in the launch dates of a portion of first-party titles"

They will be relying on 3rd party to hit their sales targets. With the latest layoffs, the cancellation and/or delay of 6 out of 12 games, Wolverine most likely to hit 2025, it seems that 2024 will be just as light as 2023 was for our PS5. TLOU 2 Factions 2, which has been delayed for years appears to have been canceled. DLC is getting delayed.

Source:

Financials PDF from Sony

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/23q2_sonyspeech.pdf

What say you fellow SW friends? Does this concern you? If this is the direction we saw in 2023, and now 2024, was Shawn Layden actually spot on when he said they need to develop less games due to how costly they have become? Sony has seen their slimmest profit margin, so I wonder if maybe bringing back Shawn to replace Jim Ryan would be a good idea?

MLB, Concord, Death Stranding 2, Ronin ( 3rd party deal funded by Sony, so, probably owned IP), Lost Souls Aside, Stellar Blade ( also 3rd party deal and owned IP)

But what the hell Xbox peeps knows

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#75 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58502 Posts

So what's the big deal over first-party and third-party or whatever?

At this point, shouldn't it just be about more games? From anywhere?

Feel like all this exclusivity shit is sort of biting them in the ass.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By KvallyX
@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:

Looks like Sony is going to be relying heavily on third party games, at least for the early part of 2024. The only game that has a date in 2024 is Helldivers 2, which is being developed by a third party studio for Sony.

Even in Sony's recent financials, they spell this out:

"impact of changes in the launch dates of a portion of first-party titles"

They will be relying on 3rd party to hit their sales targets. With the latest layoffs, the cancellation and/or delay of 6 out of 12 games, Wolverine most likely to hit 2025, it seems that 2024 will be just as light as 2023 was for our PS5. TLOU 2 Factions 2, which has been delayed for years appears to have been canceled. DLC is getting delayed.

Source:

Financials PDF from Sony

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/23q2_sonyspeech.pdf

What say you fellow SW friends? Does this concern you? If this is the direction we saw in 2023, and now 2024, was Shawn Layden actually spot on when he said they need to develop less games due to how costly they have become? Sony has seen their slimmest profit margin, so I wonder if maybe bringing back Shawn to replace Jim Ryan would be a good idea?

MLB, Concord, Death Stranding 2, Ronin ( 3rd party deal funded by Sony, so, probably owned IP), Lost Souls Aside, Stellar Blade ( also 3rd party deal and owned IP)

But what the hell Xbox peeps knows

When did that guy become an Xbox peep? 😂😂😂 And clearly you didn’t read my headline 😂😂

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Last_Lap

@gifford38: You mention third party games and say Sony always delivers 🤣

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#78 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@TheEroica: Its crazy how high the standards for Sony are held. They're vastly superior to their competition and thats still considered super meh for them.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 TheEroica  Moderator

@Mozelleple112 said:

@TheEroica: Its crazy how high the standards for Sony are held. They're vastly superior to their competition and thats still considered super meh for them.

"Vastly Superior" 😂 C'mon now. What are you really hyped for in 24 for your ps5? It's meh.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Saw they also scaled back on the live service stuff before '25. At the very least, they read the room on that BS.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#81  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@TheEroica: For my PS5? Nothing as I exclusively play on PC. But Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth looks really good, Wolverine is solid, and Death Stranding 2 is an extremely strong GOTY potential.

There is nothing interesting coming out on the Switch and there isn't a single Xbox game I can't play on my PC (at twice the graphics and triple the performance)..

but even so, what is there apparently? Stalker 2 and Hellblade 2? zero hype for any of those, but I hope they both are day 1 on GamePass so I can at least play them for free.

Might as well list Helldivers 2 if thats only PC/PS5 but it looks really crap.

The only 2024 games that have me pumped are the Snake Eater remake, Death Stranding 2, GTA 6 and Final Fantasy 7. The first three might not even release until 2025 and the last one is a PS5 exclusive (unfortunately).

So Sony is clearly winning 2024 so far, just like they won 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018...

But my back log is absolutely huge anyway.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#82 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts

There's still a lot of unknowns right now with Sony. For example, we haven't seen Naughty Dog's new title yet, Bend Studio's new title (although they developed Days Gone which was meh), Guerilla Game's new title, Insomiacs' Wolverine title (although I doubt this would be a 2024 release after they just finished Spiderman), not to mention Santa Monica and Sucker Punch.

Sony has a lot under wraps right now. Maybe looking at a mid-gen refresh (PS5 Pro?) with a bunch of new titles to announce?

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1040 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

@robertos: not sure Sony is even going to waste time doing that anymore, nobody buys them when they do put them on PC, not enough to make it worth it anyways.

Perhaps, but last I saw it was still in their big company private event said it was important.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#84 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

Isn't it insane how Housemarque and especially Blue Point got acquired ages ago, and its like they've completely disappeared? wtf.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Gifford38

@last_lap: yes third games Sony financially pays to develop those games. Some have flopped same not. Sony been delivering since the last 2 years of ps3 life cycle. Ps4 had so many first party games. Now ps5 since launch. 2023 was one of the first years it's been slow. Now people are hating on them. Xbox been drought since last 2 years 360 releasing mediocre games except forza. Heck look at ps3 VS 360 head to head. Then Xbox one VS ps4 huge gap. Just saying.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Gifford38

@Stevo_the_gamer: days gone was not meh. It sold plenty as well. I still kill hordes for fun.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Gifford38

@hardwenzen: Isn't it insane how Housemarque and especially Blue Point got acquired ages ago, and its like they've completely disappeared? wtf.

I can't tell if it's a joke or not. Returnal just came out 2 years ago.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

@gifford38 said:

@hardwenzen: Isn't it insane how Housemarque and especially Blue Point got acquired ages ago, and its like they've completely disappeared? wtf.

I can't tell if it's a joke or not. Returnal just came out 2 years ago.

And? Unless they're working on some shitty gaas game that was canned, they should have at lease teased their next project. Instead, just like with Blue Point, these two developer have completely vanished. Its pathetic.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Last_Lap

@gifford38: Nah, you can't say Sony is delivering when it's the third party that is next year, not Sony.

This has nothing to do with Xbox, why do you guys run to Xbox when someone criticises Sony? It's automatic response with you guys.

Simple fact is that Sony has no games officially coming in 2024. That's not Sony delivering.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#90 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34769 Posts

Watch some movies then. Almost the same.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1410 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@eni232 said:

What does Xbox have in store for the video game industry? We know Nintendo will be in the Mario Pokemon Zelda routine. Sony might have something to surprise us.

Not sure what Xbox and Nintendo has to do with this thread :(

The trend of declining AAA is certainly not limited to Sony. So... why makes this thread then, xbot?

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@TheEroica said:

What games did it change? The penny pinching game?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 KvallyX

@palasta said:
@kvallyx said:
@eni232 said:

What does Xbox have in store for the video game industry? We know Nintendo will be in the Mario Pokemon Zelda routine. Sony might have something to surprise us.

Not sure what Xbox and Nintendo has to do with this thread :(

The trend of declining AAA is certainly not limited to Sony. So... why makes this thread then, xbot?

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@TheEroica said:

What games did it change? The penny pinching game?

Who else is getting less first party AAA exclusives besides Sony?

As a manticore I want all my systems to have them and grow them like Xbox is.

Answer us that pony.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Saint-George

the bu bu bu Xbox Sony Shlong Slurping Saps are out in force.

PlayStation has no games,and is in last place for gaming!

Good job xbox box studio's and third party have you covered,you are all xbox family now,say thank you to phil 👍

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

It would be crazy to have nothing announced for 2024. Surely they will have some announcements at the game awards. Whatever happens they will still lead in sales.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11269 Posts

Absolutely no concerns. PS5 will still be seeing exclusive content, and it will all be better than the crap Xbox will serve up

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 14010 Posts

I enjoy my PS5, but it's been my least favorite PlayStation.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 KvallyX

Do many of you plan on selling your PS5 now?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46648 Posts

I'm like Jim Ryan.

I gave up on Sony.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18825 Posts

@TheEroica: "Sony is super meh this generation..."

This whole gen is meh.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3750 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

More than 3 to 1. Oh, well, looks like we'll have to run out and buy the worst system every gen because we'll only have the best exclusives of 2022 and 2023 for a few months of 2024.